• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Smoke and Fire sauce, (almost)all home grown.

I made some sauce this winter that turned out great! My best ever! I had about 40 fresh home grown Alaskan habaneros and smoked about half over mesquite smoke for about 4-5 hours. Right before I took them inside I put them over the coals and scorched the outsides until they were getting black and crispy. The insides were still kinda moist. I mixed the habs all together along with home grown and dried Scotch bonnets, jals, thai dragons, pequins, and homegrown onions and garlic and blended it all together. Put in Wild Turkey bottle and filled with white vinegar and added a little black pepper(I like it too!). I put the bottle into a pot of water and boiled it all day ~9 hours or so and shook it up about every hour.
It's really, really smoky and hot! Hotter than any habanero I bought at a grocery store! Maybe the pequins helped? Anyway, guys at work said it's like the Tabasco chipotle, but smokier and 10x hotter!

Blurry pic of the sauce:
IMG00186.jpg

And the bottle in fron of some whale baleen:
IMG00187.jpg

Nice! And welcome from 28 year ex Alaskan. Looking at your avatar, are you CC on Kodiak? Got buds of mine flying for Andrew Air. Last visit to Kodiak it was blowing 50, zero zero mixed rain and snow.....just like springtime!

Cheers, TB.

chilliman said:
Did the long boil , cook the heat out compared with your fresh pod?

Possibly. I did lick up a few bits that were on the plate, they were hot! Maybe mine grew hotter than normal? I was cryin' big time!!! But the hottest were the little ones I have always called pequins. I think they are also called tepins? They are little, but pack a wallop!!!!!

Beerswimmer said:
Possibly. I did lick up a few bits that were on the plate, they were hot! Maybe mine grew hotter than normal? I was cryin' big time!!! But the hottest were the little ones I have always called pequins. I think they are also called tepins? They are little, but pack a wallop!!!!!

Depends on if they are indeed tepins. Lots of confusion between the two for a long time. Pequins are not quite as hot. Those I eat like candy. The real chiltepins..another story.

Cheers, TB.

Wow great recipe, I LOVE chipotle sauces. I've printed out the recipe so when my peppers are ready to harvest I'll be able to make up a batch. Now off to get a big bottle of Wild Turkey so I will have a nice bottle to put it in!

Sounds damn good. I really got get around to making a sauce sometime. I love to cook, I'm quite the mad scientist in the kitchen yet I've for some reason never made my own sauce.

Back