• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dehrydating Peppers

Hey gang, I am looking for any advise I can get before I attempt to dry peppers in my jerky ovens. I have 1600 watt commercial dryers, 20 trays each, and only have done jerky at this point. I would like to dry habs, serrano's, and jalapenos to start. Any ideas?
THANKS
Aj:hell: :hell: :hell:

Wash them clean, put them in, and fire it up!

Your Jalapeno's will take the longest since they have the thickest skin and the most moisture. Really not much to it. I have my dehydrator set at 135 and it usually takes about 24 hours for 4 full trays of pods to dry. I have a much smaller dehydrator than you though so your milage may vary as they say.

Temperature is very important. Personally I do not dehydrate any peppers at above 120 degrees, whether in the dehydrater or the less easily controlled stone oven. Keep it low and slow..

All the best

Guy

Ristras!

I asked the Peppermaster what temperature we're drying our peppers at and he said "low"... I said, "how low" and he said, "who wants to know?".

There ya have it... Low.

T

I have a bunch of Hungarian yellow banana peppers and am looking for a way to preserve them for later use. What is your suggestions? If I were to use the dehydrator, should I leave the peppers whole or cut them in half? Cut out the viens and seeds or leave them? As you can tell I am new to this.

Hey Smokin Jim! Hungarian banana peppers you can simply hang to dry whole, they turn a nice flaming orange, then red, or you can cut them up however you want and dehydrate them. My choice for them is to cut them up, seeds and all and freeze them in freezer bags because I use a lot of them in cooking. That way I can just smack the bag on the counter and take out what I want. To eah their own, you really can't go wrong either way.

Just do not, whatever you do, pack the fresh peppers in oil and put them in your fridge. That would be asking for botulism.

T

ARIZ JACK,
In my experience, and you can check with TINA for my results, as she BEGGED me to send her some of my dehydrated RS, well, actually I OFFERED if the truth be told, hehehe, I find it best to cut the peppers at least in half. You must open the skin of the pepper for the moisture to escape. Again, in my experience, and I DID TRY it, it takes FOREVER to dehydrate whole, unpunctured peppers. You could prick the peppers several times with a fork, cut a few slits in them, or ROUGH CHOP them in a food processor, but, again IMHO, the pepper needs to be penetrated in some fashion to allow moisture out. I have done my RS at about 140F - 150F, and had no problem with seed germination. LOW is good also, just will take a bit longer. Lemme know how they come out.

Thanks Gang

Yes, low low low
I have a digital thermostat and timer set up on my ovens, and experimented a bit over the weekend. 135 seems right, and yes, the Jalapenos took the longest. My goal is to create a dry pepper rub for use in my smoker for ribs and such. I'll keep you posted on progress. THANKYOU......Aj:mouthonfire:

With the Hungarian peppers, if I hang them to dry can anyone tell me about how long that process will take? Also being up here in the great white North, it is starting to get real cool, like near freezing at night, and I was wondering if I were to hang them in my garage if that would work? Any and all help is appreciated. There now I have doubled my number of posts since joining.

Ya its getting cold too soon. Hanging in the garage should be ok if its dry enough. A humidity guage and dehumidifier are nice to have. I'm guessing it will take a few weeks to dry.

I checked out your website smokin Jim and wow. I love the pits/cookers. Hard to find anything decent for sale in Canada, I guess thats why you build your own. I wish I lived closer because you really got me drooling.

My suggestion is to cut a couple slits down the sides of each pod. It really helps when smoking so it should help with drying.

chuk hell said:
My suggestion is to cut a couple slits down the sides of each pod. It really helps when smoking so it should help with drying.
Yes, that's good advice. I usually just slice my peppers in half and place them in seperate bins in the truck in the backyard. They dry out fast!

Back