• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles Scoville ratings

Does anyone know of a good site that uses scoville ratings for peppers so we can more easily compare the heat levels. Chileman says hot or medium or very hot but compared to what. One mans hot is another mans medium

naganero said:
Does anyone know of a good site that uses scoville ratings for peppers so we can more easily compare the heat levels. Chileman says hot or medium or very hot but compared to what. One mans hot is another mans medium

Well about the best your going to find is sites that have fairly generic descriptions such as below. The reason for this is that peppers can vary widely in heat range from the same plant, much less the same species.

Scoville Units
16,000,000 Pure Capsaicin
5,300,000 Police-Grade Pepper Spray
2,000,000 Common Pepper Spray
855,000 Naga Jolokia
580,000 Red Savina Habanero
350,000 Habanero Pepper
325,000 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
200,000 Jamaican Hot Pepper
100,000 Thai Pepper
50,000 Cayenne Pepper
30,000 Manzano Pepper
23,000 Serrano Pepper
10,000 Chipotle Pepper
8,000 Jalapeno Pepper
5,000 Tabasco Sauce
2,500 Rocotilla Pepper
2,000 Ancho Pepper
2,000 Poblano Pepper
1,000 Coronado Pepper
500 Pepperoncini Pepper
500 Pimento
0 Sweet Bell Pepper

Paul! Not you too! (Where's that Tina pulling her hair out in frustration icon???)

ASTA calculates SHUs 1:15, so, Pure capsaicin is 15,000,000 shus, not 16,000,000!

T

Tina Brooks said:
Paul! Not you too! (Where's that Tina pulling her hair out in frustration icon???)

ASTA calculates SHUs 1:15, so, Pure capsaicin is 15,000,000 shus, not 16,000,000!

T

Ya know, I was going to post something saying "has anyone been listeniong to Tina's many rants and explanations?" but I decided to let Tina do her thing. :shocked:

Tina Brooks said:

T

Just pulled it off the web as an example on what he's likely to find. I don't advocate that paticular list. Breath easy Tina. :shocked:

lol, I will Paul, as soon as everyone quits repeating the erroneous Scoville count! :shocked: Until then... I'm a woman on a mission!

T

Dollar for Dollar, (CAD excluded), TINA is one of the MOST knowledgeable about peppers that I have had the distinct pleasure of chatting with. But then, thats just IMHO. If TINA SAYS it's 5 mil, then you can pretty much "take dat to da bank".

bluelytes said:
But then, thats just IMHO. If TINA SAYS it's 15 mil, then you can pretty much "take dat to da bank".

Why don't we just call it "something that will tear up any part of your body that comes in contact with it" and leave it at that?

naganero said:

The list that Paul posted above is a good "guide" to follow. I've seen dozens of scoville heat charts, most of which have variations in the scoville unit numbers. In my opinion, there will be new test developed for determining these numbers and we will probably be told that the current ratings are bunk. I wouldn't put to much emphasis on concerning myself with a particular number on a chart, just use them a general guideline.

Scoville Ratings - try this

Thought I would pass this link on. As mentioned before, these ratings are general and I don't think take into consideration growing factors (amount of water, soils, other chiles planted closely, etc). I have grown, and am growing, about eight or nine of the chiles listed and will say the ratings are fairly accurate. The link is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

Another interesting site (with pictures of chiles) is:

http://users.visi.net/~mandy/pepguide.html

Currently I am growing in my garden the following:

Anchos (poblanos);New Mexico 6-4;Aneheim;Big Jim; Barker;Habañeros;Bell Peppers;Sandias. In the past I have tried pequins, thai, serraon, etc. I usually smoke them then dry them - end up with various flavors of Chipotle.

My understand of Chipotle is actually a smoked jalapeño. Don't like jalapeños too much but the others make a nice mixture.

Ciao for now - nmtrout

imaguitargod said:
Chipotle is just a genera term that means something was smoked. It has not attachment to any peppers.

Um...not sure about that. I think the term's been bastardized. Cue Willard3 here......

chi·pot·le (ch-ptl) Pronunciation Key Audio pronunciation of "chipotle" [P]
n.

A ripe jalapeño pepper that has been dried and smoked for use in cooking.

from

American Heritage Dictionary

chuk hell said:
Um...not sure about that. I think the term's been bastardized. Cue Willard3 here......

chi·pot·le (ch-ptl) Pronunciation Key Audio pronunciation of "chipotle" [P]
n.

A ripe jalapeño pepper that has been dried and smoked for use in cooking.

from

American Heritage Dictionary
I'm pritty sure, but I have been known to be worng before. Quick! Consult our local Mexican!

: cue the Speedy Gonzalez theme song :

Willard! We need your help!

Words take on new meanings. Salsa just means sauce, but to us it's a condiment. Chipotle is a smoked jalapeno.

Come to think of it, I'm pritty sure we had this discussion about 6 months ago and Willard was the one who said that Chipoltle is just a term meaning smoked.

imaguitargod said:
I'm pritty sure, but I have been known to be worng before. Quick! Consult our local Mexican!

Mexican consulted. I was in the Jalapeno camp. I asked Ismael and he had a can of chipotle...which was odd...and there it is right on the label in plain spanish for everyone to read. "smoked Aji peppers".

But in America, it's a jalapeno.

Back