old but new to me pressure cooker...finally

went to a yard sale down the street from me... i spot an old box that is faded that says presto one it... look closer at the contents...

i now own a barely used Presto Pressure Cooker - 20 quart(harvest)

now it is kinda ugly with the color of it but it came with

2 replacement gaskets , 4 replacement automatic air vents and was complete including the gauge....

she included a coleman 2 burner propane stove...all for $20

16a7434.jpg

Sweet find BAM! Depending on how often it was used, you may need to get the pressure gauge checked so you don't blow that thing up. Nothing like an exploding batch of canned sauce surrounded with beyond boiling water to send you to the hospital or at the very least, make for a nasty cleanup job. You can get the gauge checked at your local agricultural extension center for free.

Enjoy, it looks like a Caddy to me!

FiveStar said:
Sweet find BAM! Depending on how often it was used, you may need to get the pressure gauge checked so you don't blow that thing up. Nothing like an exploding batch of canned sauce surrounded with beyond boiling water to send you to the hospital or at the very least, make for a nasty cleanup job. You can get the gauge checked at your local agricultural extension center for free.

Enjoy, it looks like a Caddy to me!

thanks for the advice...i will be getting it checked out very soon

the lady said she bought it yearssssss ago and only used it once or twice...then put it in the basement and left it alone..lol

Pressure cookers make nice short ribs.

Wow great pressure canner and better price! If you are going to can the best way in the big canners like that is to only put one layer of jars ( 7 quarts). Being a 20 quart it takes a LONG time to process and when stacked double some foods just cannot take the extended cooking. JMO from a friend who had a 20 quart versus my smaller one. Otherwise enjoy your super find.

What a bargain - and who cares about the color!

Pepperfever, isn't 20 quart the size of the canner (five gallons) and not how many quart bottles it will hold?

Mike

I'm not PF Mike, but yes, that is the volume...mine is 23 quarts and will hold 7 quart jars or I think 21 half pints double stacked. I like the half pints because they are 8 ounces...thats all... :lol:

Sorry was slow getting back to this..judging by the appearance of the canner it looks like one of the taller ones. Mine's is short and fat. I think they both hold 7 quarts to a layer but if you double stack the quarts it requires a LONG time of processing. The shorter ones are only tall enough for one layer of quarts or pints, half-pints you can double stack.

pepperfever said:
Wow great pressure canner and better price! If you are going to can the best way in the big canners like that is to only put one layer of jars ( 7 quarts). Being a 20 quart it takes a LONG time to process and when stacked double some foods just cannot take the extended cooking. JMO from a friend who had a 20 quart versus my smaller one. Otherwise enjoy your super find.

thanks for the advice...my plan is to only can one layer at a time.. its not like it is going to take along time to process that one layer anyways..

the canner is probably 15" high approx.

Dude! You got a steal! I'd go over the gaskets real carefully. Rubber tends to lose it's elasticity when it sets for a long time.

Great Find Bam!!!! I have 2 and use them all the time!!!! Before you know it you'll be making all kinds of things and canning even more in them!!

patrick said:
Dude! You got a steal! I'd go over the gaskets real carefully. Rubber tends to lose it's elasticity when it sets for a long time.

3 brand new rings, no cracks not weathering on them at all...still feels plyable and not hard

Dyce51 said:
Great Find Bam!!!! I have 2 and use them all the time!!!! Before you know it you'll be making all kinds of things and canning even more in them!!

i have been looking for a big canner for years and need to start using this one soon.. i am feeling the need to can..lol

AlabamaJack said:

thanks AJ... that looks like an awesome book

Back