• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Orange Hab on the side

So as posted on in My Everything post, I had some smoked ribs over the weekend. They came out amazing. I used the 5 brick method Bams BBQ linked me to and it worked famously. So, there's only two of us and we had some ribs left still to this day. What to do what to do. So I call in my lunch order to home, yes hot stuff, I'd like supm like a pulled pork sammich made with those left over ribs. We have those left over Onion buns as well, Oh yes, she replies.

So when I get in, I have the most excellent onion roll pulled pork style rib sammich I have ever had. Use your minds eye here.

Shredded pork rib meat, smoked 4 hours with apple wood smoke
dressing made from; worstechure, brown spicey dijon mustard, A-1, Mayo
Alfalfa sprouts
Slices tomato
Monterey Jack cheese melted on roll
Toasted Onion Roll

Oh yes, and the kicker, Orange Hab in the raw to munch on as I eat. That's right, in training.

Sounds fantastic!

We have some leftover ribs that I froze in a panic, lest they go bad in the wasteland of our fridge.

I may thaw them and try that.

And a fresh orange hab! Lucky bastard.

If it is the real deal, then you have almost completed your training, and are well on your way to the dark side.;)

Well, in my Fire A$$ post someone mentioned that the Orange Hab's from the grocery store tend to lack a bit of zip. So I know not to get too ahead of myself. I'm having fun with the burn they do give though, oh boy! Safari Sagoodie.

She mixed up the dressing and just kind of spooned a bit over the rib meat in the sammich. So it wasn't exactly like the pulled pork over in the eastern parts where they kinda mix it all up in the meat. I think she was trying to make one of those all in one spreads to go on the bread but it came out a little saucey, so she just drizzled it over the meat. Damn it was good.

For some reason, our grocery store had orange habs at almost any given time. Then just when I think I'm up for some, they run out and don't get any in for weeks.

Well, I was in the grocery store today and happened to look over and see a WHACK of great looking habs just sitting there waiting for me to pick it over. Well, I like the flavor, but they kinda kicked my ass. I broke a sweat almost instantly when I tried it. Granted I was eating them with some hot wings (Dave's original death and Yucatan Hab pepper sauce), but still.

GOod news is that eating raw habs on the side is within my grasp! Probably not without a beer, but it's within my reach!

Results may vary on grocery store chile's. I've bought habs that lit me up like a pinball machine on 220v while others....
Just as well that they don't set me on fire all the time. That means I can eat more poppers!

Cheers, TB.

For some odd reason, my local grocery store quit carrying orange habs, and now has some HUGE red ones that rock my face 10 times more than the oranges. These guys a really nice and hot, and have a great flavor. No idea what the hell they are, but I've been saving seeds from the better tasting and larger ones.

FiveStar said:
For some odd reason, my local grocery store quit carrying orange habs, and now has some HUGE red ones that rock my face 10 times more than the oranges. These guys a really nice and hot, and have a great flavor. No idea what the hell they are, but I've been saving seeds from the better tasting and larger ones.

Got any pics of these bad boys?

Will try. I've eaten them all, and last time I went by the grocery, they all looked pretty manky.

Edit: actually I have 2 big boys left. Put them in the fridge to delay their downfall. Pics forthcoming...

Pics... The first one is blurry, and you can tell that top one either needs to be eaten tonight or thrown out... Prepping some cheese and crackers as we type. Second pic has a pack of cigs in the frame for reference of size.

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0618.jpg

are those candy cigs? They kinda remind me of the old Popeye cigs I bought as a kid. Of course you can't buy those in Canada any more. They're just 'candy sticks' now and they aren't wrapped with paper or have the icing sugar to look like smoke when you puff them.

Nah, they're hippy cigs:lol:

Just all natural tobacco. It's all I can smoke after switching, as most any other kind of conventional cigarette tastes like cardboard and sugar after smoking these for a while. Plus theres a lot more tobacco per smoke in these guys, so they burn longer. When I take a smoke break at work, I'll smoke one to my coworkers' two marlboro lights.

It's a bad habit that I should quit, but while I'm doin it, I might as well smoke the additive free guys, rather than take in the 100+ other chemicals other companies are adding to their brands.

Of course, these are $5.75 a pack here in tobacco country, while most other brands are running between 3-4USD a pack.

I hear ya! The only thing that worked for me was the patch. Trust me, I was Jonesing hard, but the final straw was after I struck my pretend wife while I tried to quit. I remember it like it was yesterday... I relive that horrible moment time and again. I was 8 years old and just returned home after a tough day of being an astronaut. She didn't have dinner on the table, and of course, I didn't have a P-eye (that's what we called them back then because we didn't have time to say the full name) all day. As you may or may not know, cigs don't burn in space despite what the "Air in space museum" would have you believe. Anyways, I digest, I came home and was upset that she didn't have dinner on the table for me when I got home and the rest, well... that's tough to discuss... I'm over clempt at the moment....

They kind of look like a Red Savina. That would also explain the heat difference between it and an orange hab.

I love cold ribs, especially beef ones cold. Looks like a good sandwich though. I'm gonna try it. Sprouts on a bbq sando is so California- Could you imagine someone's face like say in a Southern bbq joint if you asked for sprouts? LMAO

next time make pizza.

Dough, Bbq sauce, rib meat, mozz. cheese, red onion, cilantro. Cook on a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven at the highest temp. setting. Should take under 10 minutes.

you wont regret it.
Quesadillas or empanadas are other good ways to use up leftover bbq.

Back