• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pepper Powders

I've made a powder from dehydrated peppers that I've grown.
In the mix is 7-Pot's, Scorpion's, Red Savina's, Fatalii's and Chocolate Habs.
The powder is atomic. Has anyone made a seasoning mixture of dry powders that would be appropriate for toning this concentration of pepper down? If so, would you share the recipe? I don't do salt though. Doc's orders!

Ya could always use cayenne powder or red pepper powder from an asian store...the stuff they use for kimchee and such. It's not really hot, but has a rich red color and flavor.

This is what I get:

1976_default.gif

http://www.koamart.com/shop/30-1976-hot_peppers_paste-red_pepper_powder__5lbs.asp

You can use it rubs for bbq there are plenty of recipes for those in the recipe section -- I usually take the powder in my wifes purse every where we go for emergencies...

QuadShotz said:
Ya could always use cayenne powder or red pepper powder from an asian store...the stuff they use for kimchee and such. It's not really hot, but has a rich red color and flavor.

This is what I get:

1976_default.gif

http://www.koamart.com/shop/30-1976-hot_peppers_paste-red_pepper_powder__5lbs.asp

OMG! Powdered Wang! BWAHAHAHAHAH!!! Does that add a sausagey flavor to the mix?

Be careful how hard you rub that powdered wang on yer meat. It may stand straight up and get kinda tough when you cook it!:lol:

Thank you to each of you for your welcome and suggestions. I'm thinking a mixture of Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and the Red Pepper Mix might be perfect. It would cut the heat to a more reasonable level and bulk it out for easy dispensing.

This is a potential marketing idea...

Thanks again,

FS

scoville said:
Welcome to the forum!Try some American (generic) Paprika.Maybe some Garlic or Onion powder.Raw sugar will also lessen the heat,and melts well when cooking.

QuadShotz said:

This is what I get:

1976_default.gif

LUCKYDOG said:
You can use it rubs for bbq there are plenty of recipes for those in the recipe section -- I usually take the powder in my wifes purse every where we go for emergencies...

POTAWIE said:
You can grow or buy some mild or sweet peppers to mix in or you could get creative with your dehydrator and try mixing in other dried fruits or veggies

Red bells would be my advice. I would not dilute the pepper flavor with other spices.

If you want to add it so something garlicy, you are adding garlic powder.

I would keep the main batch pure, and make several spice mixes and rubs with it.

Hey cheezydemon, I should be clear about what it is that I'm attempting to make.

A very spicy, rich flavored pepper powder that also has the usual seasonings as an all-around seasoning salt (without the salt).

I'm trying to find out if anyone else makes this type of seasoning at home and what they put in it as far as ratios.

Like 3oz of this, 1oz of that, etc. When I buy the bulk seasonings, I need to have that ratio for my powder already figured out so that I buy the proper amounts of each seasoning.

I'll get smaller amounts for trials first.

FiveStar said:
OMG! Powdered Wang! BWAHAHAHAHAH!!! Does that add a sausagey flavor to the mix?

Be careful how hard you rub that powdered wang on yer meat. It may stand straight up and get kinda tough when you cook it!:lol:

Hahaha....hey now, leave my Wang alone!
making-fun-054.GIF

FloridaSun said:
Hey cheezydemon, I should be clear about what it is that I'm attempting to make.

A very spicy, rich flavored pepper powder that also has the usual seasonings as an all-around seasoning salt (without the salt).

I'm trying to find out if anyone else makes this type of seasoning at home and what they put in it as far as ratios.

Like 3oz of this, 1oz of that, etc. When I buy the bulk seasonings, I need to have that ratio for my powder already figured out so that I buy the proper amounts of each seasoning.

IDK about there, but here we hava grocery chain called WinCo Foods that has the best bulk foods selection. One of those is a oleresin-enhanced chile powder that very dark and rich. Not very HOT for us chileheads, but it's fun to play with.

That pepper powder of mine seems like Red Bell to me. It's nearly all pepper and very little if any heat. Kinda sweetish too.

I have the 1lb bag that was $4.99 at my local market. Really adds vibrant color and is cheap for a filler. I dust it on eggs and stuff instead of paprika as well as use in sauces and powder mixes.

LUCKYDOG said:
more like give me your recipe and if I like it I'll market it
Not at all. If someone has one that I could try, it would give me a starting point for my own blend, but since you've now made it sound as if I'm here trying to steal something, never mind. Thanks.

If you have a good blend like it sounds like you do, don't ruin it by using it as the starting point for another blend. Make a blend of whatever ingredients you like THEN add your pepper blend to give you the heat and flavor you want. I make a big batch of my all purpose rub every few months, but I really can't give a recipe because it is always a little different. I start with seasoning salt and then add onion and garlic powders, coarse black pepper, white pepper, paprika, cayenne, cumin, mombasa powder, all spice, curry powder, mustard powder, thyme, oregano, cilantro, basil, orange peel, brown sugar, and then add my mix of pepper powders that includes Naga Morich, Fatalii, Choc Hab, Chipotle, Thai, De Arbol, and Ancho.

JayT said:
If you have a good blend like it sounds like you do, don't ruin it by using it as the starting point for another blend. Make a blend of whatever ingredients you like THEN add your pepper blend to give you the heat and flavor you want. I make a big batch of my all purpose rub every few months, but I really can't give a recipe because it is always a little different. I start with seasoning salt and then add onion and garlic powders, coarse black pepper, white pepper, paprika, cayenne, cumin, mombasa powder, all spice, curry powder, mustard powder, thyme, oregano, cilantro, basil, orange peel, brown sugar, and then add my mix of pepper powders that includes Naga Morich, Fatalii, Choc Hab, Chipotle, Thai, De Arbol, and Ancho.

JayT - That's like every flavor of awesomeness minus Dill pickles.

FloridaSun said:
I've made a powder from dehydrated peppers that I've grown.
In the mix is 7-Pot's, Scorpion's, Red Savina's, Fatalii's and Chocolate Habs.
The powder is atomic. Has anyone made a seasoning mixture of dry powders that would be appropriate for toning this concentration of pepper down? If so, would you share the recipe? I don't do salt though. Doc's orders!

I suppose its a future recommendation, I very much enjoy powdered versions of my favorite peppers but because I find myself traveling alot fine powder is way too intense to add to everyday food. Here is what I did to solve this dilema. I take my favorite mixture of "Dried Peppers" and throw them in the coffee bean grinder until I reach a course texture. Then I bought a disposable Coriander pepper mill and tossed the coriander and threw my spice concotion in it. Now whenever I wanna add some heat to my foods I can grind the peppers to the desired setting. I do this with bonnetts and jolokias , made them easier to take through customs in route to the sandbox. just a thought but it worked for me. ;)

FloridaSun said:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=11024&highlight=essence

This stuff rocks, I guess you could leave out the salt.

Back