• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fried Bologna Sandwich w/ Naga & Stuff

Yeah, lotta ya prolly cringing at the idea of fried bologna...but it's not much diff then fried spam, and it's tasty. If ya have spam or whatever, that'd be fine too.

I just happened to be out so I improvised.

Stuff:

• beef bologna
  • mushroom, sliced
  • onion, sliced and chopped
  • sliced Anaheim chile
  • one of Nova's Dorset Naga's..minced.
  • wheat bread
  • THSC's Afterburner Sauce (woulda preferred NagaSav for this, but I was out)
  • dash of BBQ sauce since was outa NagaSav
  • Mozz

S6303052.JPG

Also used a smidgeon of bbq sauce, but it didn't make the pix.

Ok, first we fry up the bologna. I cut it into peices so it wouldn't curl up and get weird. This is a good time to hava beer.

S6303061.JPG

When done, took out and put on paper towl and patted off some of the grease...basically same as ya'd do for bacon.

IMPORTANT: leave the oils leftover in the pan..we're gonna use dem.

For this quicky stir-fry:

S6303057.JPG

Danger Will Robinson!!!

When that Naga hits the hot oil..ya won't belive the smell, or the power of the steam it is coming from. Don't do like my dumb azz did and go to take in the aromas..and get a snootful of Dorset Naga steam....it stings.

But jeeeeezuz, that stuff smells insanely good.

Ok, now we spread the sauce on the bread, add the bologna, slices of Mozz, and the veggies.

S6303060.JPG

Ya didn't clean that pan out didja?

'Cus we ain't gonna waste those yummy chile oils and flavors, now are we? If it's too dry, add a spot of butter, but fry up that bad boy...

Ok, we've toasted up our sammie...time for more beer and grubbin' :D

S6303066.JPG

S6303064.JPG

Watch out for yer hands or use a napkin...as they may well get naga-grease on 'em.

It is ok though, it's tasty that way. ;)

I shoulda used more bologna though, I forgot how much it shrinks when ya fry it.

Cheers Chileheads,

-QS

I love fried bologna -- I make it quite a bit and have introduced my son to 'em that sandwich looks very tasty --

Ever see the episode on Food Network where, I forget the place, they smoke thick slices, deep fry it and slap it with bbq sauce ?? looked awesome.

It's been years since I fried bologna.I'll have to pick some up next time the wife is on a trip!I'd love to try it in the smoker,but I'm sure I'd have to eat it all my self!Maybe injected with some Cajun Spice...

Hmm, I don't have cable so the only food network I see is online recipes and such. Sounds fun though. :)

I liked the heat level of it as a sandwich.

Definetly made me tear up and sweat some, but was just right IMO. More naga woulda made it a bit too hot for casual dinng. :)

Hey Luckydog I seen that episode of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" with Guy Fieri. 1/2 inch slices of bologna, some dry rub then smoked and covered in sauce.

Hmm, I'll have to look that up.

Even though I think Guy Fieri (aka Guy Ramsay Ferry) is a flamin' power-tool... :twisted:

patrick said:
Hey Luckydog I seen that episode of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" with Guy Fieri. 1/2 inch slices of bologna, some dry rub then smoked and covered in sauce.

Could be -- sounds like the right show -- it was a while ago -- it acually looked darn good --

DD&D is a good show his own show sucks IMO

It is pretty good fried, especially if you blacken it a bit. I usually just have a plain bologna sammi with a bit of butter and a whack of mustard. I dunno why, but I really like it that way. I may have to pick some up as I haven't had that in a long time.

Thanks Quad...now I'm drooling and have a craving.

I usually make something like that but I substitute the shrooms for black olives and use a hougy bun.

Man the food looks great, i am not so sure about the Blue Ribbon though, whats that swill like?

Novacastrian said:
Man the food looks great, i am not so sure about the Blue Ribbon though, whats that swill like?

Well, it's nicer than most cheap beer IMO, and wins awards even still.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabst_Brewing_Company#Pabst_Blue_Ribbon

Charlie Papazian, president of the Brewers Association and one of the most prominent names in the world of beer and brewing, published the following tasting notes for Pabst Blue Ribbon in 2008:

"A contrasting counterpoint of sharp texture and flowing sweetness is evident at the first sip of this historic brew. A slowly increasing hoppiness adds to the interplay of ingredients, while the texture smooths out by mid-bottle. The clear, pale-gold body is light and fizzy. Medium-bodied Blue Ribbon finishes with a dusting of malts and hops. A satisfying American classic and a Gold Medal winner at the 2006 Great American Beer Festival."

Plus, its like $9 for a 18-pack.... ;)

Back