• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

chipotles

I'm making up some chipotles today. I got some nice red jalapenos from the flea market.

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

I now have them on the dehydrator and will eventually freeze the chipotles until I have time to make a chipotle sauce. My favorite.

Looking good but I'd recommend poking holes in the jals or slicing them in half to absorb the smoke better/quicker

POTAWIE said:
Looking good but I'd recommend poking holes in the jals or slicing them in half to absorb the smoke better/quicker

Potawie is the man when it comes to smoking peppers!;) He would not stear you wrong!:cool:

POTAWIE said:

Thanks for the suggestion Potawie. I'll give it a go next time.

POTAWIE said:
Green as in dry? I don't think you want to use green wood, it will be a bitter smoke:(

I actually mix small amounts of small green branches with dry wood for the smoke. Green wood by itself is, as you state, a recipe for bitter taste.

I recently got all kinds of logs and wood chips that I'm trying to dry out before fall when I do most of my smoked peppers and sausages. Now that my greenhouse is nearly empty, I think I'll try drying some in there where its dry.

I've used different smokers but this year I'll be using my big homemade cold-smoker and smoking at very low temps for several days. This year I've got lots of hickory and some apple logs as well as lots of apple chips & chunks and oak/cherry chips & chunks.

Back