• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spicy borscht anyone?

I'm planning on making a batch of borscht tomorrow. Probably going to do a pretty much traditional Russian borscht with thinly sliced hanger or skirt steak and some really nice scotch bonnets from my yard. Anyone ever done anything like this before? Hopefully it'll come out good.

For some reason though this scotch bonnet plant looks like death. Such a totally unhealthy plant, but it's producing great fruit so I guess it can't be too bad. It's a second hand plant BTW, so maybe it's just stress from the move and things will look better when it adapts to its new home.

I love beets, don't think I have had borscht.

Well, it came out awesome. My roommates were quite impressed too. At first it was a little too thin, so I made a roux to thicken it up and IMO it was the most perfect borscht I've ever had. If anyone wants the exact recipe, let me know.

No pics? Oh man what a tease!;) I would like to have the recipe--see if it contains things that I might enjoy eating.

Man no pics, I'm crushed. :(

OK apology accepted. Made a big pot he says, now it's all gone he says. Now I'm really bummed.

The recipe will make up for it hopefully.;)

I'd like to see the recipe too.

If you roasted the beets first I know I will like it. If not, I may try it that way. I loooove roasted beets.

I made quite a bit, but my roommates and friends ate more than I did. I didn't follow any sort of recipe, but here's what I did, feel free to improvise since I just made it up as I went along with no real plan so feel free to adjust quantities as you see fit and enjoy.

Ingredients:

2 medium sized beets julienned
one can of beets(don't throw away the juice)
2 white onions quartered and sliced
copious amounts of coarsely minced garlic
2 pretty large potatoes
about 2 1/4 pounds of chuck steak cut into bite size pieces with all of the excess fat saved
half a cabbage chopped about the same size as the onion
4 or 5 carrots into about 1/2" long slices
3 tomatoes chopped
6 scotch bonnets minced(or however many of whatever pods you choose)
coriander
caraway seed
dill
parsley
salt
black pepper
2 beef bouillon cubes
a couple tablespoons of distilled vinegar
vodka
butter
flour

I meant to get celery too but forgot when I was at the store.

First I heated some olive oil and put in the onion and garlic. Once it was getting caramelized I added the beef. Once the beef got browned I added the beets(vinegar now too to maintain their color), potatoes, carrots, and pods and started to add in all of the seasonings(which I did slowly throughout the process to adjust to taste). After about 5-7 minutes I dumped in the beet juice, cabbage, tomato, bouillon, and a few cups of water to just barely cover everything.

That pot was then turned down to low to medium-low, covered and allowed to simmer and finish cooking everything(I ended up leaving it for about 2 1/2 hours).

All that fat from the beef I then sliced up and put in a shallow pan with a little water, and another 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar, around 2 shots of vodka, and let that go for quite a while. This was just something I came up with on the fly to melt down and extract a lot of flavor from the fat. The acid in the vinegar and alcohol were mostly added to help break down the fat and get more flavor out. I let that go for maybe an hour and a half covered.

Now that all of that was just chilling on its own, I broke out a frying pan and heated about 3/4 stick of unsalted butter. Once that was good and hot I slowly started whisking in flour until I had a nice and thick tan colored roux for both flavor and thickening.

Once all that was done, I took a little sample of the broth and reseasoned to taste. I then removed the fat, discarded it, and added the fatty goodness liquid to the main pot and stirred in the roux. I let it simmer and reduce/thicken maybe another 30 minutes and there you have it.

Serve in bowls with some fresh dill sprinkled on to and depending on your personal taste a dollop of either sour cream or plain yogurt(optional). I recommend serving it with a good hearty rye bread sliced thick.

Everyone that tried it loved it, and like most soups/stews, it was even better the next day.

Well there you have it. If anyone decides to recreate my concoction, I'm eager to hear how it comes out.

Dobrou chut!

Back