cutlery Your favorite kitchen knifes...

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
I thought this would be an interesting thread.

Glestain
006-12.jpg

EDIT... forgot we debated wusthof and the henckels, ended up picking henckels on the budget status, been a while

J.A. Henckels santoku with scalloped edge 7", J.A. Henckels small chef 5.5", 6" stainless steel cleaver. That's all I need.

Wiltshire. 1 large blade and 1 bread knife.

They are the bomb. I've had both for 6 months and have never shapened either, and the cutting knife is still sharp enough to cut through a whole rump like it's not there!!!

It took me a long time to finally decide to buy this one... I would go into the store and drool over it and its siblings often.. My wife finally said " Buy the knife so I don't have to hear about it anymore " :cool: Of course now I want the Nakiri to match it :lol:

Shun classic 8 " chefs knife.
knife2.jpg

Shun classic Nakiri
Shun.jpg

Diablo.. the first pic on the cutting board is mine.. the one in the onion is one I want now.. I did a google image search and luckily enough there was another geek out there taking pics of his knives :lol:

I am still not sure if I will spring for it or buy some carbon steel blades from this guy..

custom handmade carbon steel blades.. this guy makes some wicked looking stuff and I go to his website to drool at least once a month..

http://www.wildfirecutlery.com/

My biggest hesitation is that I can't pick them up first before buying

@Ashen I can see the dilema. I'm thinking it's a safe purchase though. You might call and build a kind of report with him to see if he can feel out what you'd be happy with. That's what I do when people ask me for coffee, I ask a few questions that help me make sure they get a coffee that fits them. I have seen similar custom built blades before. Usually it's just as much an art purchase as anything else. So even if it's not a good cutting implement, which I really doubt-dude isn't going to learn a skill that painstaking and meticulous and not know how to craft a bad ass implement, at least you have a really kick ass nice looking piece of hand crafted art. A dieing art I might add.

After looking at those pics, the front of those chef's knives look like they would want a bit more heft. His cleavers look like the buy of the bunch.

I've got the same santuko as Bam. 2 in 6" and 2 in 8". Add those to a few chinese cleavers and other Heinkels. Over the years I've used everything from Wustoff to Forschner's. They all have thier merits.

Cheers, TB.

i like the Henckels because if they ever lose their edge or are broken or you are just not happy with the way they are cutting, Henckels will replace them free of charge.

I have a Shun Santoku knife. Very nice but missing just a bit of heft. Holds an edge nicely though.

I have a ceramic nakiri knife that is VERY sharp but also too light and it has 1 small chip from being dropped in the sink when being washed. I use it for chopping herbs. Not much else.

I have an Ameriware 67 layer knife set my wife bought me from Costco. They have great heft and look great but they don't seem to hold an edge as well as the Shun. I find myself resharpening all the time.

Maybe I just suck at sharpening? I dunno.

I've had Wurstof, Henkel, some crazy late night tv knifes... Never liked any of them. I'm still not completely happy and I've spent quite a bit of money on knives. I'm not even an AMATEUR chef. What's wrong with me?

lostmind said:
I have a Shun Santoku knife. Very nice but missing just a bit of heft. Holds an edge nicely though.

I have a ceramic nakiri knife that is VERY sharp but also too light and it has 1 small chip from being dropped in the sink when being washed. I use it for chopping herbs. Not much else.

I have an Ameriware 67 layer knife set my wife bought me from Costco. They have great heft and look great but they don't seem to hold an edge as well as the Shun. I find myself resharpening all the time.

Maybe I just suck at sharpening? I dunno.

I've had Wurstof, Henkel, some crazy late night tv knifes... Never liked any of them. I'm still not completely happy and I've spent quite a bit of money on knives. I'm not even an AMATEUR chef. What's wrong with me?

a knife guru friend of mine was having the same problem with the knife not feeling just right and he started going with some japanese knives... here is the link he showed me

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/MolybdenumSeries.html#WIDTH: 400px; HEIGHT: 240px

Back