• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Wanted: smoker side-dish recipes

Who's got some ideas for simple side dishes done on the smoker. There's obviously stuffed peppers and smoked potatoes, and I want to try smoking a fatty soon:P but what else can I make to accompany the main course. I know Bam and others must have a few more great ideas!

BBQ Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (27 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less,
or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage (a maple flavor pork breakfast
sausage is good)
1 (15oz) can apple pie filling, pieces somewhat chopped up
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite bbq rub)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease.
Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325 F for 1 hour, or simmer
on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time
to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

you can also use peach pie filling

you can also make cornbread in your smoker,smoked garlic or you can smoke a apple or peach or cherry cobbler...so many ideas..lol

Smoked Portabella s
Combine two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce with two tablespoons of melted butter. Coat the portobello mushrooms with the mixture, then lightly season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

A light flavored smoke wood, like apple or alder works well...just use a small amount.

Place the portobellas into the smoker, gill side down. Brush the tops again with the butter mixture, and let the mushrooms smoke for one to one and one-half hours.

Give them one more brush of butter before you take them out of the smoker

Saw this one that I always wanted to try

Bacon Wrapped Sausage Appetizer Recipe

To make these, you will need a one pound Polish sausage or kielbasa, sliced bacon, brown sugar and toothpicks.

Slice the sausage into disks about three-quarters of an inch thick and cut the sliced bacon in half.

Wrap a half-slice of bacon around the outside of each of the sausage disks and secure with a toothpick. The wrapped sausage should resemble a little cup, with part of the bacon slice extending above the top of the sausage.

Add a teaspoon or so of brown sugar to the top of the bacon-sausage cups, and they are ready for the smoker. They can be placed directly on the grate or in a shallow pan. Cook them right alongside the smoking ribs or brisket.

When they're done, the sugar will be melted and the bacon will have begun to get crispy. Eat 'em while they're hot, and try not to fight over them. They are that good.

To add some variety to the bacon wrapped sausage snacks, try placing a thin slice of fresh ginger or some red pepper flakes under the sugar. Or give them a shake of black or red pepper on top.

After reading Bams bean recipe I'm hesitant to post mine. Apple pie filling? Wow Bam!

Anyway here's mine.

Ingredients:
3 15oz cans of Pork and Beans, I use Van de Camps
4-5 thick slices of bacon, chopped into 1/2 pieces
1/2 small onion diced
1/2 green pepper diced
1/2 packed cup brown sugar
2 Tbls maple syrup
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Pepper
1/4 Tsp Garlic powder
1 Tbls ketchup
1 Tbls BBQ sauce
1/2 Tbls mustard

Cook bacon, set aside and then saute onion and green pepper in fat. Cook until soft and/or translucent. Remove from heat.

Combine all ingredients into an oven/smoker safe pot and turn the heat up. Cook for about an hour to give all the ingredients time to blend. Some serious nom noms.

BamsBBQ said:
you can also use peach pie filling

you can also make cornbread in your smoker,smoked garlic or you can smoke a apple or peach or cherry cobbler...so many ideas..lol

Done!

Smoke sea salt spread out on foil, and jar it. Whenever you want to salt a dish, you add some great smokiness.

Smoke pecans and then caramelize them, serve in an arugula salad with roasted beets and goat cheese.

Smoke tomatoes and garlic and whip up a salsa.

You mention potatoes already, but try this. After smoking them, make mashed potatoes with some roasted garlic as well. Add bacon bits.

I love using smoked salts in many recipes but I usually like to do mine in the cold smoker. I've also done smoked salsas and chili which were great but I need to wait for garden fresh ingredients. The mashed potato idea is a great one that I definitely have to try soon, maybe tomorrow!

I'm thinking of trying some shrimp wrapped in home-made maple bacon along with some cured ham kabobs glazed in honey and apple jelly. I've already got some sausages made and smoked, but I'm thinking of making them into kebabs too. I can never get enough meat on a stick, now I need to start thinking about veggies

I almost always make some bacon wrapped asparagus.

pickup thick slicked apple smoked bacon
large asparagus (larger the better)
wrap bacon around asparagus in a twist going down
coat with EVOO or pam
use the extra rub you used for your meat and just roll them around in the rub until they have a thick coat.
Smoke for 30 minutes or grill for 10 until crispy.

LGHT said:
I almost always make some bacon wrapped asparagus.

pickup thick slicked apple smoked bacon
large asparagus (larger the better)
wrap bacon around asparagus in a twist going down
coat with EVOO or pam
use the extra rub you used for your meat and just roll them around in the rub until they have a thick coat.
Smoke for 30 minutes or grill for 10 until crispy.

What he said. I did this the other night, and it was killer. I mopped mine with the sauce that was going on the chicken and let that get nice and caramelized on the bacon. The missus though I was nuts, as she's now convinced I like to wrap bacon around everything! (Who doesn't?) She ate more of the asparagus than she did the chicken thighs.

Good call LGHT

i have a new one...

Smoked Macaroni & Cheese

basic ingredients:
around 1-2lbs of cooked crumble bacon
1 large onion,chopped
3 large tomatoes chopped
2 lbs of your favorite cheese
cooked macaroni
1 large tomato sliced

in a large well seasoned cast iron frying pan, lay a small layer of the chopped tomatoes,followed by the bacon,onions,macaroni and cheese. repeat this layer until you have approx. 3 layers. Top with more cheese and the slice tomatoes.

place in a smoker for a good 1 1/2 hours until bubbling and cheese has turned a nice color.

let cool slightly and enjoy

i will be making this later on in the week so i will show some food pron at that time

Try these... they're great with hickory smoke!

Smoked Stuffed Tomatoes

Ingredients:

3 Large Firm Tomatoes
6 oz Artichoke Hearts - Marinated
10 oz Frozen Spinach -- Chopped
5 Green Onion -- Chopped
3 slices bacon - cooked and crumbled
1 large jalapeno - chopped
8 oz Cream Cheese -- Room Temperature
2 Tbs Sour Cream
2 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese -- Grated
Salt And Pepper -- To Taste
Bread Crumbs -- Dried

Directions:
Cut tomatoes in half down the stem side. Cut out stems and scoop out all pulp and seeds. Dry inside and out with paper towels. Sprinkle salt and pepper into each half.
Drain and chop artichoke hearts.
Squeeze all moisture from chopped spinach.
Chop green onions.
Combine chopped ingredients with bacon, jalapeno, cream cheese, sour cream, oregano, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and stuff each tomato half heaping full.
Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
Place tomato halves on smoker rack and smoke for 30 to 40 minutes at 225 degrees or until done to your liking. Do not over cook.
Tomatoes should be still somewhat firm to the touch so they don't fall apart after cooking.

Servings: 6

Potawie, I don't want to divulge the recipe right now, cause it is part of my Jerk Throwdown, but I have an excellent recipe for corn on the cob. I will post it later.

Back