• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Mo Habanaga Sauce

Plundered from my two 2nd year plants 6-28-09.
This years nagas, habs, and fatalii pods are starting to turn but not quite ready for plucking.

6-28-09Harvest.jpg

Habanaga Sauce

I took the pods from 4 days ago and added them to those picked this morning and sauced em.

HABANAGA SAUCE
--------------
Ingredients:
1 - heaping plate of Habs and Nagas (Sorry, didn't count, use em if ya got em.)
4 - fair sized fresh maters (I didn't use the smaller two in pic)
2 - medium to large sized onions
1/4 - cup Kosher salt
1/2 - cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed limes are better but none on hand)
1/4 - cup Cajun Seasoning
1/4 - cup minced garlic (fresh roasted garlic is better but it's on my grocery list)
1 - cup vinegar poured from last years pickled peppers (throw in some of those pickled ones too if ya want)
1/4 to 1/2 cup molasses (optional)
Habanaga-1.jpg

Quarter your maters and remove the green pith from the stem end.
Slice onion and remove stems from peppers and split in half lengthwise.
Be sure to save some seeds from a few of the fat choice pods.
Don't forget to wear rubber gloves. ;-)
Habanaga-2.jpg

Sautee the onions with a couple of tbls of vegie oil until they start to wilt as this brings out their sugar, then add the garlic and cook one minute more.
Habanaga-3.jpg

My blender isn't large enough to process this quantity in one go, so I did it in 3 batches. Make sure to add some tomato to the bottom of the blender first since it will add extra liquid necessary for a good puree then a little of each of the other ingredients to each blender full. Quantity of each doesn't matter since its all poured into a large bowl for a final stir. Now is the time to taste it to see if you want to add more seasoning.
Habanaga-4.jpg

Finished Sauce

Two Bama sized woozies of finished Habanaga sauce. Put it in the fridge for 4 or 5 days and it's ready to rock!
The right bottle is a little darker because I stirred in 1/4 cup of mollasses to the last half of the bowl before bottling for that little extra sweetness. If you want to can this recipe it will need to be cooked, but that will kill some of the heat.
Habanaga-Sauce.jpg

Oh, and don't let someone make the mistake of reaching for ketchup and grabbing one of these from the fridge instead. :D

patrick said:
Oh my, and it fits in the door too. Bonus. How's the taste and what are you putting it one, besides everything?

Taste is great but will get even better after a few days in the fridge. The molasses really rounds off the sharp edges. This stuff is nice and hot because the peppers aren't cooked, but gets used up pretty fast and long before it can spoil. I use it in all kinds of recipes, add it to BBQ sauce (makes great Buffalo wings and pulled pork), drip some atop all kinds of food...

caroltlw said:
Anyone ever stumble upon the ketchup in the fridge and not realize it wasn't ketchup until they took a bite of their burger?
You wouldn't use ketchup again! I don't even use it anymore. I use a tomatoy hot sauce.

caroltlw said:
Anyone ever stumble upon the ketchup in the fridge and not realize it wasn't ketchup until they took a bite of their burger?

LOL!!! Yup, but they only make that mistake once and now they always ask first if unsure. But even after that solar experience most that can't take it straight still want a little added to their ketchup for the added zing and better flavor. :)

Back