• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Homemade Habanero Mustard!!!

This recipe is a great way to preserve peppers for the future, and the end product is incredibly useful. I've used mine on everything from sandwiches to barbecue! I did this last year with Fatalis and it was excellent. I've made a larger batch this time with some store bought peppers just to see how canning this would go before I've got peppers of my own to add to the mix. I've adapted this recipe from here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-mustard-recipe/index.html

It's a Emeril recipe, but since I was adding peppers I left out all the fu-fu, and just made basic whole grain mustard. I just multiplied all the measurements by 4 because I wanted 4 jelly jars full. Mustard seed can usually be found in the bulk spice section of your local hippy grocery store.

Homemade Habanero Mustard

3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
1 1/3 cup quality white wine
1 1/3 cup white wine vinegar (I used distilled white, as it's what I had.)
3 teaspoons of salt (I used canning salt, try to use something that's not iodized if you're going to can it)
Habaneros to taste (I added 10 chinenses of some kind from the local grocery store)

Combine all ingredients except the peppers in a non-reactive container, cover and place in the fridge overnight. It should look like this the next day, with all the seeds swollen...

DSCN0770.jpg

The next day, chop peppers coarsely and add the whole mess to the blender. Blend to desired consistancy.

DSCN0771.jpg

At this point, it's got great mustard spice, and can be eaten just like it is. I'd reccomend making a smaller batch if you don't want to can it. If you want to make a bunch for later, sterilize jars and lids in boiling water, fill with about 1/2 inch of headspace, pop on the lids and process for 20 minutes in boiling water. Be sure to follow safe canning times for your altitude.

Finished product, all canned up. The darker one I added about a cup or so of fresh raspberries to. This stuff is really good, and I'm hoping it will keep for some time. Just to be sure, I'm storing mine in the fridge once it cools, but after 25 minutes in a boiling waterbath, I'm pretty sure these are clean.

DSCN0774.jpg

This would be great with any pepper Im thinking, but the fatalis I used last year took the cake. Can't wait for Bhut Mustard!:onfire:

Awesomeness!

I've wanted to make my own mustard before, but I'm lazy. That'd be fun with some horseradish/wasabi in it too. :)

LOL @ Bhut Mustard...:lol:

Big WIN! Mixed some of the raspberry stuff that was leftover in with some Stubbs BBQ sauce about half and half and smeared it on some barbecue chicken. Let it caramelize a bit...... WIN! SOoooooo good, and I could still taste the berries through the bbq sauce. Nice burn, and good mustard burn almost like good wasabi.

This recipe is a good one. Will have to see how the canned stuff works out. Only left about 1/4 inch of headspace in mine and it bubbled out while in the waterbath. We'll see, but if you make this, pay attention to the headspace while canning.

could always roast the mustard seeds and grind them up into a powder before soaking too for a finer consistency. I'm not a fan of the multicoloured mustard.

Nice. I just finished up a bottle of a mustard flavored hot sauce and wanted to make my own. I'll start w/ a mustard just like this and work from there. Thanks.

Make that mustard ZS! I'm a freak for that kind of stuff. Can't be too hot either. I like it where the hairs in my nose stiffen' up and the sweat starts pouring off. I'm addicted. Please post your recipe and pics if you can. I would love you looooooong time! I got a hankerin' to make some of my own. Like Peter Frampton..."oh won't you...show me the way.."

I bet it'll be good smeared all over a picnic ham during a cold hickory smoke.
Smear the raw ham and let it soak in a day or so in the fridge

Maybe add some wasabi/horseradish and honey to the mustard then in the final hours use as a mop or sprinkle with brown sugar and pin on some cherries and pineapple chunks.
or puree some of all of the above to use as a mop....

I bet it'll be good smeared all over a picnic ham during a cold hickory smoke.
Smear the raw ham and let it soak in a day or so in the fridge

Maybe add some wasabi/horseradish and honey to the mustard then in the final hours use as a mop or sprinkle with brown sugar and pin on some cherries and pineapple chunks.
or puree some of all of the above to use as a mop....

I'm dizzy with lust!

Dirty water dogs? Never! I'll take a Chicago street dog but not NYC.

oooh Stick the knife in! That's a whole 'nuther thread in itself! NOTE to THP hotdog afficianado's: I am NOT associated with the opinions registered herein as per NYC vs. Chicago dogs.

: runs out of thread to avoid injury :

Back