• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cook-off help

Hi Folks, New to sanctioned cook-off's and looking for a little help in the "Red" department. Our local cook-off (3rd year) has become CASI sanctioned this year. I Have not entered Red before
and after some web searching it appears that beans in "Red" chili is taboo? Do I just keep it simple with beef and tomatoe base with a few spices? Any input would appreciated. My "Green" (people choice 2 years running) rocks, but it doesnt seem to be as appreciated in the big TX cook-offs as the "Red". Is that right? I know I'm showing my rookie colors here so I would appreciate a little advice from you chili pro's. Thank:?:

howdy hillbilly chili from bubba's chili..i will try and help as much as possible. CASI or Texas style chili is meat and gravy only...got a quick question for ya...what is the meat cut for the cook off is it cooks choice or chili grind only.....answer that for me and ill post some more info for ya.....bubba out

Welcome Hillbilly Chili... the right man is on the job.

Thanks Bubba, I had not read anything regarding a chili grind or cooks choice. The High Country Chili Cookoff in Monument CO is on the CASI & Colorado Chili Pods website, but I didnt see the meat type specified in the rules. Do you think it would be cook's choice since not specified? Thanks for your help Bro!

Thanks imguitargod.Same to ya on the handle.
I didnt last a day on here without signing up on DEFCON's mailing list. That Zero creation looks awesome! I cant wait to try some of the sauces. checked out you site too btw, nice mullet. be chattin at ya.

Hillbilly Chili said:
checked out you site too btw, nice mullet. be chattin at ya.

lol, thanks. Just an fyi though, it's been cut, but I still like to keep the "mullet" nickname for old times sake.

;) Thanks Marco. I just ordered a few of your salsa's and am anxious to try them. I Love a good Salsa. I also make a Mango salsa, with crab too. I'm not usually one that appreciates fruit in salsa but my wife introduced me to the crab mango and it has become a huge hit as a side dish giveaway at the chili cookoffs. My vegi salsa took the blue ribbon at the El Paso county fair, it rocks! If I might brag.:)

imaguitargod said:
lol, thanks. Just an fyi though, it's been cut, but I still like to keep the "mullet" nickname for old times sake.
I thought you were gonna say you kept the mullet hairs, lol.

Hillbilly Chili said:
imaguitargod......cut mine off too, been there done that. For the record.....I play a really BAD banjo, really BAD
Fellow former Mulletiers, UNITE! So, should we call you imabadbanjoer? ;)

Mulletiers.....Too frickin funny dude. :)
imabadbanjoer's kinda got a ring to it but...I better stick with hillbilly.
You really didnt mean that you kept the hair did ya?;)

It's in his new sauce called imahairgod.

Hillbilly Chili said:
;) Thanks Marco. I just ordered a few of your salsa's and am anxious to try them. I Love a good Salsa. I also make a Mango salsa, with crab too. I'm not usually one that appreciates fruit in salsa but my wife introduced me to the crab mango and it has become a huge hit as a side dish giveaway at the chili cookoffs. My vegi salsa took the blue ribbon at the El Paso county fair, it rocks! If I might brag.:)

Hillbilly Chili...Crab/Mango salsa sounds kind of good..I need to try to make it, and thanks..you wont be disappointed in the salsas. Fruit in salsa is very good IF you do not make it too sweet.

thehotpepper.com said:
It's in his new sauce called imahairgod.
1.gif

Back