• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce

Sadly I can't claim this one as my own, but it is fantastic. This guy's website contains soooo many good recipes as well. This BBQ sauce is smokingly sweetly stickily awesome... It was so easy to make I made it on a sailing boat in Turkey. I was on a flotilla with a couple of chef's and they fell in love. It is simply amazing.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2009/05/dr-pepper-ribs-sticky-spicy-and-sweet.html

2 cups of Dr Pepper
1 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup of mustard
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of molasses
2-4 teaspoons of chipotle powder

Place all the glaze ingredients in a pan, bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until thick and syrupy.

On a serious note though, the cooking with cola is really becoming a very commin place thing. I just wonder if anyone has dones studies as to the health effects of cooking with some of the nasty chemicals that are in sodas...

imaguitargod said:
On a serious note though, the cooking with cola is really becoming a very commin place thing. I just wonder if anyone has dones studies as to the health effects of cooking with some of the nasty chemicals that are in sodas...
Some types of cola here (including some products of Coca-Cola) are explicitly said not for cooking or baking. might be a local thing, though.

buggedcom said:
i've obviously missed out on something and am sitting here clueless.
It's an inside joke. PMD was a dullard that was on here briefly and all his posts were about Dr. Pepper. Kinda funny actually.

Omri said:
Some types of cola here (including some products of Coca-Cola) are explicitly said not for cooking or baking. might be a local thing, though.
Remember, we're Americans, we're too busy watching TV to read labels. :rolleyes: :lol:

Omri said:
Yep. it's a REALLY tiny note on the back, but it's there.

I imagine being in Israel with the heat, you may need extra preservatives or something like that. In Finland you can just leave it outside and as long as it doesn't get eaten by raindeers/elk/bears your pretty much golden.

It's the diet cola products I'd think you shouldn't bake with. Aspartame turns into some pretty nasty stuff (Methanol!) when broken down under high heat.

DON'T COOK WITH SUGAR SUBSTITUTES!

FiveStar said:
It's the diet cola products I'd think you shouldn't bake with. Aspartame turns into some pretty nasty stuff (Methanol!) when broken down under high heat.

DON'T COOK WITH SUGAR SUBSTITUTES!
Aspartame is actually a nurotoxin and by itself is extremely toxic. Sodium benzoite, when combined with vitiamin C (and usually it is) breaks down pritty fast into Benzine, which causes DNA damage, HFC is also extremely toxic as well...so sodas....basically are not good for you in any form, diet or not.

imaguitargod said:
Aspartame is actually a nurotoxin and by itself is extremely toxic. Sodium benzoite, when combined with vitiamin C (and usually it is) breaks down pritty fast into Benzine, which causes DNA damage, HFC is also extremely toxic as well...so sodas....basically are not good for you in any form, diet or not.

You forgot the joys of what all that phosphoric acid does to you.

Sickmont said:
You forgot the joys of what all that phosphoric acid does to you.
There's alot of things I left out ;)
Sickmont said:
I wonder........Instead of using Dr. Pepper to cook with, what about prune juice?
Ya know, that actually sound really good. I might have to try that. Wait.,....wait....I've got a new idea...oh wait, I've lost it...hmmm...oh! There it is. Prune beer!

Back