vendor Ordering Pepper Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the Redwood City Seed Co the guy that says Tepins are the hottest pepper in the world? Has his own heat scale? Don't know if that has anything to do with his seed business though. Just thought I'd mention it.

I've used chili pepper company and had one package confiscated by customs and one get through. I like Peppermania and if you're going to grow the Bhut Jolokia you have to get your seeds from the Chili Pepper Institute at NMSU. I've used the HippySeedCo once and am really happy with that. Just have to wait and see about germination rates but from what I've heard that isn't going to be a problem.

Let us know how it all works out will ya? Thanks.

Personally, I think you are nuts for ordering now to sow this winter. More than likely, you will get seeds for the 2009 crop which means they are old. Not that old seeds will not germinate - they will, but IME not as well as new seeds.

Nothing wrong with staking out sites and bookmarking them for later reference but again, I would wait until this year's crops are harvested and the seeds gathered from them.

JMO, YMMV,

Mike

If properly stored I doubt you'd see much of a difference if any between 2009 seeds and ones packed for 2010. BTW, just because a package states it was packed for 2010 doesn't necessarily mean it was harvested in 2009; it just means the seed stock passed their germination test.

From what I have read peppers seeds will last for 3-5 years (if stored properly) and will have no lose in germination. Its anything after 5 years that may have problems (if Not Frozen.. which can last upto 7-10 years).

ThePepperGrowingMan said:
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to order seeds for next years crop and was wondering where the best places are to get them? Reimer's pops up all over in my research but I have read some less than great things about the seeds they sell. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yeah. I can safely recommend these fellas. They are fun, helpful and a very social bunch...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back