• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Making Concentrate

Ok Im sure this has got to be a subject that has been beaten with a stick but I have looked and am not finding quite what I am looking for. How exactly does concentrate get made? Im looking for something that may show the actual process and ingredients used. I have seen some post on concentrates and some mighty fine images and has me thinking I may later want to do the same with my harvest, given I have enough to do it.

Pepper mash... I did find that thread AJ, but didn't really answer all my questions.

1. Do you use the whole pepper or just everything but the skin?
2. Of course we will all be making different quantities so whats the ratio for the ingredients? i.e 10ml vinegar, 1/4tsp sugar, and pinch of salt per 20grams of pepper
3. Any step by step on how to cook it properly?

crazy8 said:
1. Do you use the whole pepper or just everything but the skin??

I take the stems off and use everything else

crazy8 said:
2. Of course we will all be making different quantities so whats the ratio for the ingredients? i.e 10ml vinegar, 1/4tsp sugar, and pinch of salt per 20grams of pepper?

I make mine up in batches as it says in the opening post....100 mg peppers, 60 ml vinegar, dash of salt and a tsp of sugar (but I am now substituting 1/4-1/2 tsp agave nectar)

I can't answer the question about ratios because like cooking, you can't just ratio everything else out...I use a magic bullet for making the puree and the above amounts are perfect for one of the magic bullet containers..

crazy8 said:
3. Any step by step on how to cook it properly?

bring it to a boil without scortching it then lower the heat until it just keeps bubbling...

all in all, this is a very simple recipe and process...

This may be an obviously stupid question, but why is sugar added? Is it just for sweetness or is there something else? What is tsp agave nectar and why did you decide to use that instead? So if you can this stuff with a pressure cooker, how long can this stuff stay good?

My guess for the agave nectar is because it's better for you than sugar. I'm a big fan of it myself. If you've never had it before, it's very comparable to honey. When I lived in Sedona, AZ, all the crazy vegans, health nuts, and hippies are all about it.

Thano nailed it...the sugar is better for you and it is about 4 times sweeter than sugar...to me, just a hint of sweetness brings out the other flavors...

I have jars of the concentrate I put up last summer and they are all still good I suppose, the vacuum is still good because the tops are still "sucked down"...

Yep...That recipe is a keeper! I made Orange Hab Concentrate, following that recipe and it is great. HOT, as a concentrate should be. If you eat a whole spoon full, you'd know! Also, it tastes like the pure pepper.

I like to experiment with the different vinegars in the concentrate. I made my lemon drops with lemon juice - no vinegar and extra sugar to offset the bitterness. Orange hab got made with apple cider vinegar (5%). And the latest red habs got the red wine vinegar treatment (5%) - I think this is a winner for the hab flavor so far.

Back