• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

July 23 2009 hot sauce

Heyas, I've been making some hot sauces lately so I thought I'd share the one I conjured up this evening. I had about 3 assorted habaneros in the fridge and decided to make a sauce with them. I didn't want to melt my face and wanted enough to fill a small bottle so I picked up some sweet red peppers that were on sale.

-2 med cloves of garlic, crushed
-1/3 yellow onion, chopped
-3 habeneros, I don't know what varieties (1 small dark red, 1 longer red, 1 longer yellow - or was that orange...), I removed most of the seeds and attached placenta.
-1 large sweet red pepper, cut into pieces
-about 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
-about 1/6 cup white vinegar
-1/4 tsp pickling salt

I brought to light boil and simmered for about 15 minutes. Some of the vinegars boiled away... I started with less but had to add more over time. The ingredients became nice and soft and I then transfered it all into a blender where I liquified it. I then transfered the sauce to a vinegar bottle with the dispenser hole punched larger. Pictured below.

20090723210609.jpg

It has a very nice consistency, thick but smooth. It is a bit sweet from the red pepper and has an ok heat (more so than Franks Red Hot). This is my first time doing anything with habaneros so I wanted to take it easy.

Back