• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero and Ramps...

Second attempt at a sauce. Staying pretty safe and using habanero and carrot as the base. Garlic and some onion to round it out. Splash of liquid smoke and a touch of honey for some added goodness. While reaching for some vinegar I remembered I had a couple jars of ramp juice in the fridge. Not really ramp juice but every year in May I get a bunch of ramps and pickle and can them using a simple sugar, vinegar, red pepper flake recipe. Since the ramps have been in the "juice" for over a year they impart a nice flavor to the liquid. After I eat the ramps I save the juice cause it makes some kickazz BBQ sauce. So that is what I used for my liquid/acid. I added an additional 1/4c of cider vinegar to make it an even 1c of liquid. It is on the stove as I type so we'll see how this one turns out.

First impression was alright. Has some heat but I am sure nothing that would make most of you even notice. Flavor was good with a lot of sweetness. I only had a small taste right after it came off the stove and was blended. I am anxious to see how it turns out in a few days after some rest. I need to source out some better pepper options. I can see myself really getting into playing around with these things in the kitchen.

i had no idea what ramps were, so i found this description:

A wild leek, this onion relative with a garlicky flavor may have anticancer properties, with edible leaves and roots. Found in the woods of upper elevations, it's eaten raw or fried with eggs or just make plain old ramp sandwiches. The plants grow about a foot tall and, when eaten, a strong odor emanates from the skin of the ramps gourmand. Scientific Name for Wild Ramp (Allium tricoccum Aiton) better known as a wild leek, some other common names: wood leek, ail des bois, ail sauvage.

sounds good and stinky! can regular leeks be used instead? they dont sell ramps in miami.

I would think leeks could be substituted. Just add garlic. The ramps do have a very strong flavor and it is true that if one eats enough, especially raw, the odor will seep from the skin for a day or two. Ramps are only available a short time and are very popular in my area. Unfortunately as very good as they are I don't think they have ever been successfully cultivated.

Back