• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My Orange Habaneros.

Hello all. The first habanero has ripened on my plant, and I'm turning over in my mind what I can do with it and the other pods. Truth be told, there's not a great deal of pods (just 13) and as the only chill-head in the house I'm thinking about making some sauces to keep.

How much sauce would 13 pods make me? Would I be better doing something else to preserve them?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

depends on how hot you want your sauce to be? you could put those pods in a big pot of watter and viniger and get a a good ltr or more but it would prolly be as hot as tobasco sauce. where as if you went with a concentrate you might get perhaps 1/8th cup? you know you can always freeze them.

13 isn't enough for my sauce recipes, but you could make a nice jar's worth of something passable with something else to act as filler.

also...love the Tom Baker avatar.

cheezydemon said:
POPPERS YOU FREAKS!!!!!!

stuff with cheese, chorizo, garlic, etc.

wrap in bacon, grill upright.

Next year have 7 or 8 plants.

Excellent! I might just do that.

Space has been limited this year, but next year I will hopefully have a big new greenhouse to play with.:mouthonfire:

Well, I made some habanero poppers (apologies, but my camera wasn't to hand). Just used some cream cheese, wrapped 'em in bacon, dipped 'em in some spicy BBQ sauce and stuck them in the oven for 15 minutes or so.

Well, they blew my bloody head off truth be told. Made some with a few fresnos as well, so there was a bit of 'Russian Roulette' going on.

I'd make them again, for sure, but probably make sure I'm nearer the lav next time the 'morning after'. It was a race against time, as I was out driving and had to break the sound barrier to get home in time.:onfire:

Back