• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

wahoo

tonight i made some pretty good wahoo (fish)

took:

~1-1.25lb wahoo
4 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
half lime
fatalii fire to taste

ran the garlic through a garlic press and then mixed it all in a ziplock bag, rolled the fish around, let it soak in that for 30-45 minutes.

grilled it for 15 - 20 minutes on low (275-325) heat.

awesome fish, if i do say so myself.

would probably work with any hot sauce, depending on how hot you want it. fish was really moist in the middle and the skin had a nice spicy crust going on it, pretty good stuff. now the challange might be actually finding some wahoo..

ross said:
tonight i made some pretty good wahoo (fish)

took:

~1-1.25lb wahoo
4 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
half lime
fatalii fire to taste

ran the garlic through a garlic press and then mixed it all in a ziplock bag, rolled the fish around, let it soak in that for 30-45 minutes.

grilled it for 15 - 20 minutes on low (275-325) heat.

awesome fish, if i do say so myself.

would probably work with any hot sauce, depending on how hot you want it. fish was really moist in the middle and the skin had a nice spicy crust going on it, pretty good stuff. now the challange might be actually finding some wahoo..

Sounds tasty....what kind of fish did you use for this?

Wahoo. I think.... He said that he used wahoo, but he then stated that he needed to find some wahoo. So was it really wahoo, or a fish dressed up like a wahoo?

sorry that was confusing. i used wahoo.

i was stating the challange will be for others to find it. its not very common is it?

id do the same thing on swordfish which is probably easier to find.

ross said:
sorry that was confusing. i used wahoo.

i was stating the challange will be for others to find it. its not very common is it?

id do the same thing on swordfish which is probably easier to find.
Nope, Wahoo is kinda hard to find due to the fact that it doesn't travel in schools (aka makes fishing for it harder). It tends to be pricey if found at a gormete food place.

imaguitargod said:
Nope, Wahoo is kinda hard to find due to the fact that it doesn't travel in schools (aka makes fishing for it harder). It tends to be pricey if found at a gormete food place.

or at my local grocery store for 8.99 a pound.....:onfire:

I meant the question as to what kind of fish is a Wahoo? is Wahoo it's actually name, or is it just another name fora type of fish...for example....Mahi-Mahi is actually dolphin

Sickmont said:
I meant the question as to what kind of fish is a Wahoo? is Wahoo it's actually name, or is it just another name for something...for example....Mahi-Mahi is actually dolphin
Actual latin name is Acanthocybium solandri, common name is Wahoo. Wahoo was named after the Hawaiian Island Oahu which is sometimes spelled as Wahoo. It is also called "Ono" after the Hawaiian word for "delicious". As for the kind of fish, it is a scombrid fish which is includes mackerels, tunas, and bonitos.

imaguitargod said:
Actual latin name is Acanthocybium solandri, common name is Wahoo. Wahoo was named after the Hawaiian Island Oahu which is sometimes spelled as Wahoo. It is also called "Ono" after the Hawaiian word for "delicious". As for the kind of fish, it is a scombrid fish which is includes mackerels, tunas, and bonitos.

Thanks you. Now i know what i'm doing with this recipe in case i can't find the Wahoo

I love wahoo!!! I tried it for the first time in Aruba. Light, flaky delicate fish. Kind of like haddock. Sounds like a great recipe.

imaguitargod said:
And to incress the taste factor substitue the Olive oil for Trader Joe's Truffle Oil...mmm.....truffles...

i dont have truffle oil, but EVOO (as rachel ray says).

wahoo from wikipedia.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoo

The Wahoo (Acanthocybium solandri) is a dark blue scombrid fish found worldwide in tropical and subtropical seas. Some say that the name "Wahoo" is a derivation of the name of the Hawaiian Island Oahu, which was sometimes spelled Wahoo. The fish is also known as Ono, after the Hawaiian word for "delicious", ‘ono.

The body is elongate and covered with small, scarcely visible, scales; the back is an iridescent blue green, while the sides are silvery, with a pattern of vertical blue bars. These colors fade rapidly at death. The mouth is large, and both the upper and lower jaws have a somewhat sharper appearance than those of King or Spanish Mackerel. Specimens have been recorded at up to 2.5 meters (8 ft) in length, and weighing up to 83 kilograms (180 lb). Growth can be rapid. One specimen tagged at 11 pounds grew to 33 pounds in one year. Wahoo can swim up to 75 kilometers (47 miles) per hour.

The Wahoo may be distinguished from the related King mackerel by a fold of skin which covers the mandible when its mouth is closed. In contrast, the mandible of the King mackerel is always visible as is also the case for Spanish and Cero mackerels. Their teeth are similar to those of King mackerel, but shorter and more closely set together.

Wahoos tend to be solitary or occur in loose-knit groups of two or three fish, rather than in schools. Their diet consists essentially of other fish and squid.

The flesh of the Wahoo is delicate and white and regarded as very good in quality. This has created some demand for the wahoo as a premium priced commercial food fish. However, because of its solitary lifestyle, it is taken commercially only as a bycatch in the long-line fishery for Tuna and Dolphin. Wherever found, it is a prized sport fishing catch.

If ya like Tuna and Mahi, then you'll love Wahooooo!! It really be some good eatin'!! I like to marinate it in Italian dressing and then just slap it on the grill until it gets flaky.
WAHOO! Bubba :( :P

Back