• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Smooth T. Scorpions

Are all Trinidad Scorpion peppers bumpy? I thought this was a hab of some type at first but now I'm thinking different. Every pepper on it has a tail such as these on the right.

The one on the left is a T. scorpion but it's a hybrid. The four on the right are confusing the heck out of me. I haven't worked up the nerve to eat it..

IMG_6316aare.jpg

Opinions?

Those look more like bonnets than scorpions. Lots of chiles have tails but it doesn't make them T. scorpions, and most scorpions I've grown weren't pimply/bumpy

That would be a yes on the cool weather. It's the only plant to do it though.

Does anyone know how the pimply/bumpy look got so popular? How it got started?

Those with the pimples look so much more menacing to me.

Ok those don`t look like any of the scorps i`ve grown butttttt i`m still careful to taste. Look good and enjoy.If they have good taste and texture,,you win!

It has been a cool summer here in Ohio as well.( so much for global warming, eh?) I have scorpions on the same plant that are both smooth and pimply. Both are still hot as heck.

My .02

patrick said:
That would be a yes on the cool weather. It's the only plant to do it though.

Does anyone know how the pimply/bumpy look got so popular? How it got started?

Those with the pimples look so much more menacing to me.

Hey Patrick i just thought that pimply/bumpy pods have more surface area than smooth pods. This is true also of the inside of the pods.
This means (to me at least) that for a given circumference of a pepper the pimply/bumpy ones WILL be hotter OR just have more capsaicin. The sun ripens pepper yeah? So do the ones with more outside surface area ripen slower or faster than smooth ones?

Just thinking out loud i suppose. :)

I'm not sure the weather has a major effect on the texture of the chilli...it does on the size but I think the texture is set by the strain.....

I have bhuts that have grown in colder temps and yes they are smaller but they are still bumpy and look mean as hell.

Pat I really don't think you have a true strain of Scorp......Doesn't look a single thing like a true scorp.....Sorry mate....JMO

:)

I believe that temperature or other environmental conditions have a lot to do with the texture of a pepper. All my super-hotties in the greenhouse have major pimpling while my outdoor garden plants of the same varieties are much smoother. Even my early nagas pods where gnarly when in the greenhouse but then got smoother when moved outside

Thanks guys.

I've got a couple of other plants that are supposed to be T. scorps, one is the cross shown with these others and the other one is growing true.

The one here that I'm asking about wasn't supposed to be a T. scorp, not sure what the hell was supposed to be anymore. Isn't growing peppers fun?:)

Back