• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

TB's Tres Putas Pequin Sauce

Hey ya'll. I got it goin' on last eve in The Blues Kitchen with some pequin hot sauce. Long story short, ratholing my picked pequins for sauce is not a talent I have. I dig into the stash way to much. The other day I found some dried pequins at the local grocer and bought several packs to supplement my pequin lust. I was running low on hot sauce and a few hosky's and shot's of tequila influenced me to whip up a batch with the dried pequins. Comparing the store bought next to my home grown was easy. First the color. More brown streaks and earthy tones with some flash's of red whereas the homegrowns are a bright red...you'll see in the pic. Another big surprise was the aroma. Smokey Smokey! Much like chipotle's. Excellent! Popped several in my mouth and wow! Smokey sharp pequin flavor! CAN....YOU....DIG....IT....YA'LL!!

IMG_1428.jpg

I started with 3 packs of the pequins, and began rehydrating in apple cider vin and heated in the mic. Stirred every 5 minutes or so for an hour until soft and plumpy!

IMG_1418.jpg

Next into a sauce pan with carrot, shallot, garlic, a couple of chopped fresno's for extra color. Brought that to a simmer for half and hour, then added the pequins and vinegar and the juicy squeezin's of several limes. Whir and stir, toil and boil.

IMG_1421.jpg

More to come ya'll...

Finally I transferred to a large mixing bowl for a whir and stir with the boat motor as well as a taste and adding a little sea salt.

Just look at that color!!

IMG_1424.jpg

All dressed up pretty maids in a row for this small test batch....

IMG_1425.jpg

Here's the Tres Putas Pequin Sauce all dressed up and out on the town...

IMG_1427.jpg

Smoky sharp pequin flavor ya'll. Perfect blend of heat and acid. Has a very in your face bite to it that fades typical of pequins. Nice chewiness in texture unlike Cholula which is on the thin side.I will be eating alot of this stuff!

Salute', TB.

Nice! I know what you mean by "chewiness". I had some local ice cream the other day (ginger) and it was so rich that it was chewy. You had to pull it away from the cone with your teeth. Seems like a strange word to describe sauce or ice cream, but it works. Looks and sounds great.

Excellent! This looks like a very tasty way to use the dried pequins that are so plentiful here in the Mexican section of the grocery stores. I've always ground them up and made grill rubs, but this sauce has got me thinking there may be a few more uses for these devils!

I've got one Pequin plant in the yard that's loaded with peppers about to turn red. I popped a runt today, and that little phucker lit me up! Quite a lot of up front heat, was quite juicy, and had a decent staying power. I was really taken aback by the amount of heat in that little pod.

I do believe that IGG and mysef' are two of the very few that claim the pequin as their favorite. Heaps of flavor! Don't get me wrong, I dig the habs, but for every day "session" peppers usage, pequins fit the bill for me.

Salute', TB.

texas blues said:
I do believe that IGG and mysef' are two of the very few that claim the pequin as their favorite. Heaps of flavor! Don't get me wrong, I dig the habs, but for every day "session" peppers usage, pequins fit the bill for me.

Salute', TB.

Add me to that list. I have a bottle of pickled pequins in my fridge right now, as well as some homegrown ones dried and ready for powder. Such a good pepper, my only gripe is they are so small and it takes so many to weigh anything once dried. Someone needs to breed a pequin the size of a golf ball!

texas blues said:

Salute', TB.

Ever since buying a bottle of Pequin sauce in Mexico last summer, it's been my favorite as well. Not the hottest pepper in the world, but the flavor is amazing!

sauce looks good, nor have I ever tried them fresh or dried pods (except in certain hot sauces) I've stayed away from them cuz I read somewhere they dont produce much pods the 1st year & that you'd need to grow them for a couple years to get good crops. but I like the idea of them being like a tic tac (size) & just pop some in for some heat.

chilehunter said:
sauce looks good, nor have I ever tried them fresh or dried pods (except in certain hot sauces) I've stayed away from them cuz I read somewhere they dont produce much pods the 1st year & that you'd need to grow them for a couple years to get good crops. but I like the idea of them being like a tic tac (size) & just pop some in for some heat.

I had well over 1200 picked my first year off of 7 plants. Since May when I started picking, I've beaten that. To be sure also, I keep my plants small due to space restraints. My tallest is only 4 foot. Got 50 ripe ones on the plants now and another 150 fresh flowers. Potawie I reckon gets alot more than me. Check out his pequin plant pics. Awesome! For the dry climes of the big dry ditch here in Las Vegas, the pequins are very tough especially compared to the babying I have to do to my 'peno and hab plants.

Salute', TB.

Solid. Good stuff dude.

Funny cause I use the hell out of a pack of pequins from the store, and I comment every time, much to the shugrin of my sweetcakes, about how smoky they are. Especially since I've been pulling Fresno's, unripe, from the plants daily now. Me wants some pequin plants. Like a boxer, I'd have to say pound for pound, smoky kicks fruities ass. Saying this being a super hot noob.

texas blues said:
I had well over 1200 picked my first year off of 7 plants. Since May when I started picking, I've beaten that. To be sure also, I keep my plants small due to space restraints. My tallest is only 4 foot. Got 50 ripe ones on the plants now and another 150 fresh flowers. Potawie I reckon gets alot more than me. Check out his pequin plant pics. Awesome! For the dry climes of the big dry ditch here in Las Vegas, the pequins are very tough especially compared to the babying I have to do to my 'peno and hab plants.

Salute', TB.

maybe one year (or next year?) I'll grow 1 pequin/tepin plant, just to try it & for the tic tac idea of just popping a little pod into your mouth for a quick fix.

chilehunter said:
maybe one year (or next year?) I'll grow 1 pequin/tepin plant, just to try it & for the tic tac idea of just popping a little pod into your mouth for a quick fix.

Why do you think I had to buy some? My problem is I eat them right off of the plant.

Salute', TB.

texas blues said:
Why do you think I had to buy some? My problem is I eat them right off of the plant.

Salute', TB.

thought you got the seeds or plant free from IGG ? doesnt matter anyway how ya got'em, you're growing them now.
if I was misinforumed about them not growing much pods the 1st year then I should really try them. kinda affraid of picking the pods, I thought picking thai pods was somewhat a headache :lol:

Back