• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

bhut problem

what is wrong? The flower or what i think is the flower is dieing. I checked the soil wit a soil tester kit everthing is good Im useing two 65watt CFL flowering bulb each are 3400 lumens

Picture699.jpg

Picture708.jpg

Picture700.jpg

Picture710.jpg

Truthfully they look really good for the amount of light you are giving your Bhuts. Your going to need more light like a HID if you really want peppers indoors. I'd say move what ya got outside now and keep in a sunny window thru the winter. Those bulbs you have are just good for seedlings. Plants look great!

They do that sometimes. Not all flowers will set, it can be any number of things though. Could be too much nitrogen, could be too hot, etc. Here i'll just quote RB

rainbowberry said:
Well you could wait for Willard to come along but I'll save him the job.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low

If not enough light is the case do you think by adding more CFL's I could get the light needed. Its only 2 plants and if I put 6 of those bulbs in their that would be over 20,000 lumens, I just don't have the money to go HID.

Something I just thought of was my reflective backing is a space blanket, good at keeping heat in but I'm not sure how well its reflecting. Could this be causing any problems or is it OK?

I have never tried but do not think even 6 CFL will sustain a Bhut Jolokia with pods. Give them sunshine and start some more seedlings with your 2 bulbs. If you have a big bright sunny window move some furniture and keep them inside. My best bhuts have always come from outside plants.:)

Not true, a 1000 watt HID is no match for the sun. Do you not have any natural sunlight you can give your plants. Chili plants have grown since the beginning of time under the great big halide in the sky.

I am not positive but I believe RichardK uses CFLs and produces pods with them. He has taken into consideration things such as the poor penetration that CFLs have through the upper canopy. Good luck. I agree with PRF though. If you can get them outside then do so. Don't forget to harden them off though.

Hi IGROW
I too grow some
They look over heated and stuffy...

increase exhaust ventilation and add a 400 watt Metal Halide
or a 4-8 bank T5
those two bulbs you have are not even a fraction of the suns power...

you can get a good shop lite and some new cool whites for side lighting if you cannot afford to buy a new light,
however the cost is quickly forgottn after the first bumper indoor crop is harvested...
fyi;
I purchased my first HID light {400watt MH} in 1987 and I still use it today...
not a bad investment for a couple hundred bucks...just replace the bulb often and keep the wireing in good shape...

HI CappY!!!
wassss sappening ?

pablo

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Not true, a 1000 watt HID is no match for the sun. Do you not have any natural sunlight you can give your plants. Chili plants have grown since the beginning of time under the great big halide in the sky.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought sunlight was 300lm pre sq. foot?

I can give them natural sunlight but wanted to try and do it like it is. Michigans weather has also not been the best this summer and that is the other reason.

It's hard to get flowers to bloom that early on a seedling with CFLs, I would also move the lights down a bit more... You want to focus on plant development right now anyway.

Back