• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Rub Science

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Rubs are a science. I enjoy making them. I've written up this quick little guide to how I approach rubs.

1. Base
2. Salt
3. Sugar
4. Flavors
5. Things to avoid

1. To give it some legs to stand on (a base) use onion and garlic, or other base vegetables/fruits.

2. Salt is essential to a rub. Salt breaks down fats and tissues in the meat which then moisturize and tenderize respectively.

3. If you want a nice bark you've got to have some sugar in there. Not too much or you may get burning.

4. Now season it with the flavors you like, or what complements the meat. Coriander, fenugreek, hot peppers, paprika; what you like!

5. Things to avoid: Flakes and non-ground ingredients. Make sure your rub is well ground. If you use flakes (as in onion flakes, etc.) or other non-ground ingredients it is not a rub. It won't penetrate or dissolve, so it will sit on the surface and burn.

These are not posted in order of ingredients. Experiment! It's a science ;)

Figured it should be its own thread. Thanks again.

Well if you have to experiment and it's not a fixed controlled amount then it's really more of an art an a science....:D

I'm going to get a warning now aren't I....:lol:

But seriously I really need to start playing with this stuff as we don't really get into it so much in Australia but it does sounds good...
When you say 'sugar' do you mean different types of sugar depending on the desired resulting flavour? i.e. Brown sugar, raw sugar, white sugar.......

To answer your sugar question, yes. Different types. That goes for the salt too. It's all about experimenting and getting it right for the type of meat and cooking method being used. But the 5 steps will get you going in the right direction.

I've been getting into the salt area too, good on ya for bringing that up THP. I've stumbled across Red Alea salt which has a little bit of clay in it. As the salt melts, a little of the clay gets on the meat and traps in moisture (so they say...). I have yet to try it, but am thinking of giving it a go.

moyboy said:
Well if you have to experiment and it's not a fixed controlled amount then it's really more of an art an a science.... :D

Scientists don't experiment? ;)

The point was there is a science to this, and you have to experiment (the artistic part) within the bounds of the science, or it can go horribly wrong (burning, drying out, etc.). :)

thehotpepper.com said:
Scientists don't experiment? ;)

The point was there is a science to this, and you have to experiment (the artistic part) within the bounds of the science, or it can go horribly wrong (burning, drying out, etc.). :)

Hook, Line and sinker..........:D

There is no science to bbq. I am a creation theoriest. In the beginning there was the void. And from the void BBQ was created. And God saw that it was good. And then he inviteth some friends over for some Q and hosky's.

Amen

I certainly agree that Q-Rub is a science... at least I like to think of it that way when I'm concocting a bit of powdered magic to envelope my meat in. I'd define my base ingredient as the one I use the most of, which in my case is usually paprika. Salt is definitely important. I usually go with simple Kosher salt... and avoid regular table salt at all costs. My flavoring agents are picked to break up the monotony of red color. I like powdered garlic, mustard, ginger, celery, fresh cracked pepper, and cumin (if it's a pork Q). I find that brown sugar works the best for my taste when added in the rub. When it comes to ribs, FD & I usually... well, that's a trade secret that we stumbled upon while creating too many crushed Busch Light cans.
A fish Q? Now that's a whole different ballgame with a rub.

Novacastrian said:
Don't tell me you planned that pip. You ain't THAT smart! :rofl:

Well you might not think so but trying to explain anything clever to you is like trying to teach a cave man to design and construct a nuclear reactor......you hear the words but it means nothing....

:rofl:

What's the dl on yer fish rub Sum. Always interested in more fish seasonin's...

THP- sugar=bark? Like a sealing in the goodness melted sugar/glaze? Makes sense. On top of the not too much or it will burn thing, I always go super light on sugar if at all cause I'm not a big sweet guy. Especially on BBQ rubs, sauce or something. Too sweet is always a deal breaker in our house. Any recent favorite "experiment" recipes?

To me, a good bark is like tree bark (probably where it gets its name, right?), it pulls of in pieces. In order for it to do this, it needs a binding agent. The sugars caramelize and then solidify. To me this helps make a good bark. Everyone has their own style.

boutros said:
Any recent favorite "experiment" recipes?

Some secret ones ;) I've been thinking about making some rubs to sell. Not in the near future, but maybe down the road.

boutros said:
I see. Cool post and method/approach to rubs.

Thanks.

Boutros- amazingly, being a Miami native, I don't do a lot of meals with fish, so I'm no expert. There are certainly many types of fish and I thnk they all need to be treated differently. I'm a big fan of salmon and usually only used fresh cracked pepper on it... then it's all up to the wood used while smoking. Apple or peach come to mind. I like to go a bit heavier on the flavorings when it comes to a white meat fish, but not too much. My philosophy is that a delicate meat should be treated in such a way. I usually go heavier on the powdered garlic and onion with a bit of dill, a touch of cayenne and some kosher salt/fresh cracked pepper. Dill goes a LONG way! I'd be careful with that one. With all seasonings it's mostly to taste, but I find the lighter the better on fish. Smoke the fish with the skin on and the skin side facing the heat. Amberjack and mackerel do really well in the smoker.

Had a few decent batches of smoked fish this summer, and pretty much was what I was lookin for a new good rub for. Never had the mack smoked. King mackerel, right?

boutros said:
Had a few decent batches of smoked fish this summer, and pretty much was what I was lookin for a new good rub for. Never had the mack smoked. King mackerel, right?

Yeah, usually called king fish in FLA.

Surprised Sum said mackerel.

Back