• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Best vinegar for hotsauce?

Depends on if you want the taste of the vinegar to be a component of the sauce. Cider vinegar is a little softer than white. Balsamic is even sweeter. I believe most saucemakers just use white.

usually standard white is great. I'm always careful to use too much because it can easily take over the flavor. Personally I use red wine vinegar the most, but careful with the doses.

Ballzworth said:
usually standard white is great. I'm always careful to use too much because it can easily take over the flavor. Personally I use red wine vinegar the most, but careful with the doses.

Yeah I probably should have clarified a bit better.....Careful with the amount you use. Other vinegars can be forgiving but a little to much red wine vinegar can kill the sauce.....JMO

I'll just mirror what people have said for the most part. It really depends on the type of sauce you are going for. If you want a sweeter sauce, then go with cider vinegar, tradition go with regualr vinegar. It also depends on the peppers and ingredients used. Sometimes cider isn't the right vinegar to use.

It's really what you are tring to achive in the long run and anticipating what flavors your are going to get from each ingredient. don't be a fraid to play around with small batches and then scale up for a large one when you find something that works.

imaguitargod said:
I'll just mirror what people have said for the most part. It really depends on the type of sauce you are going for. If you want a sweeter sauce, then go with cider vinegar, tradition go with regualr vinegar. It also depends on the peppers and ingredients used. Sometimes cider isn't the right vinegar to use.

It's really what you are tring to achive in the long run and anticipating what flavors your are going to get from each ingredient. don't be a fraid to play around with small batches and then scale up for a large one when you find something that works.
Apple cider vinegar is not sweeter than other vinegars. It can be, but so can any vinegar. It happens when the conversion to vinegar is stopped before all the sugars are fermented. It depends on the manufacturer and if they are purposely trying to make it a little sweeter. Most manufacturers making vinegar let if fully ferment, so most brands will not be sweet.

Taste test your vinegars!

For my hab sauce, I've taken a fancy to using a blend of apple cider vinegar and balsamic. For the pequin sauce, apple cider straight up. To me white is a bit too sharp.

Salute', TB.

chillilover said:
Can a little suger be added to sweeten vinegar up a bit?
Why would you add it to the vinegar, the vinegar is going in the sauce? Sweeten your sauce, more control.

You can taste test vinegars and find one that is purposely made sweeter (per my post above), or you can just make your sauce sweeter with sugars.

I suppose one could add sugar but you would be better off getting a vinegar that you like to begin with in my opinion. I use apple cider vinegar for the most part.

No, he's making a Louisiana style. Vinegar, peppers, salt. Lemon juice is not right for that.

ah indeed.... i personaly havent tried the other vinegars in sauces just that harsh nasty white (dont like it much) thats why i usualy lean towards the lemon juice.

uh what peppers are you makeing this louisiana style sauce out of? that could help us make a more concrete sugestion?

Back