Hello!

Hi,

I'm a newbie chilli grower from the South East of England.

With my interest in growing my own food increasing greatly since I became vegan last year I started this year growing 3 different varieties.

jalapenos;

I pickled some of these (they were great) froze the rest and forgot to save any seeds, DOH! hopefully I missed one on the plant that I can get some seeds from or I'll have to resort to hoping that they'll survive the freezing/defrosting process.

Cayenne;

I think that's what they are, long curved and green, turning to red (I think these were grown from seeds taken from the usual supermarket chilli's here in the UK so whatever they are.) I used some of these fresh and dried the rest.

Other variety;

I have no idea what these are, I was given the seeds as a gift for christmas. They grew hundreds of small purple chillis which turned orange and then red. These I've mostly dried but the plants still got a fair few on it so I may dry some more and make some chilli powder.

Here's a pic of the plant early on in it's fruiting if anyone can identify it;

Last year I also made chilli sauce, the ingredients I seem to remember being were just vinegar and chilli's, it was very hot and a half teaspoon of it added to a can of baked beans made it very spicy. Unfortunately it got knocked on the floor smashing the jar and wasting it all. :fireball:

I don't get to eat the chilli's all that much since I live with and cook food for people who don't like their food too spicy. The pickled jalapenos seem ok for everyone though. I think I need to make myself some chilli condiments so I can add it to just my food without upsetting everyone else.

I suppose you could say I'm now hooked on chilli's and I plan to grow many many plants next year of all the varieties I can get hold of.

I look forward to using the forum :lol:

[quote name='imaguitargod']Ah HA! Found the thread that we were talking about that plant. It's right here. We never got an answer....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome :)

I don't think that is the plant though, the chilli's look too elongated, these are about 3/4" long 1/4" wide. The flowers on my plant were also very small, only about 1/3" wide and white in colour. I thought it might be 'chinese 5 colour', they do go a bit yellow before going orange but that only makes 4 colours to me; purple, yellow, orange red, so I'm not sure.

[quote name='Cap'n Bones']Welcome Aboard!!
Nice plant! Are you sure that you're in the UK? I didn't realize that the sun ever came out there. [/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm very proud of it, I grew two of them starting them indoors in the winter and taking them outside as it got warmer. I think we've had one of the hottest years ever this year in the UK so we got to strip down to our scarves and gloves.

[quote name='thehotpepper.com']Welcome!![/QUOTE]

Sickmont said:
Welcome, GreenHot!

marcosauces said:
Hola' GreenHot

DEFCON Creator said:
Greetings from Defcon HQ....

Anija said:

Thanks for the welcome everyone :( It's great to have such a response from just an intro :oops:

Should I post in another section to find out what the chilli's I've been growing are? I don't want to cross post it but I probably shouldn't have asked in the intro section to begin with.

Welcome Greenhot,
I haven't been able to identify your plant yet. It looks a lot like the chinese 5-color but yours has slightly larger pods and white flowers not purple as well as no purple foliage. Looks like a good ornamental, how is the taste/heat?

POTAWIE said:
Welcome Greenhot,
I haven't been able to identify your plant yet. It looks a lot like the chinese 5-color but yours has slightly larger pods and white flowers not purple as well as no purple foliage. Looks like a good ornamental, how is the taste/heat?

Personally I think it tastes great and is very hot, I'm not sure how to judge the heat or what to judge it against though.

I think Potawie has it.

It's a numex twilight. I've got one as well. Looks like the Purira as we discussed on another thread, but the colour sequence and upwards pointing fruits is hopefully a bit of a give away.

On the other hand, yours looks (no insult intended) a little spindly. Mine's quite squat and bushy, but it might be something to do with conditions, or similar. Are the flowers plain white?

Anyway, hello GreenHot!

POTAWIE said:

Thanks Potawie, looks about right :onfire:

Shooty* said:
I think Potawie has it.

It's a numex twilight. I've got one as well. Looks like the Purira as we discussed on another thread, but the colour sequence and upwards pointing fruits is hopefully a bit of a give away.

On the other hand, yours looks (no insult intended) a little spindly. Mine's quite squat and bushy, but it might be something to do with conditions, or similar. Are the flowers plain white?

Anyway, hello GreenHot!

Yes, it is a little spindly, I have another one that's more stout and bushy that I grew under different conditions but the one in the photo grew much faster and fruited earlier so that's the one I photographed.

You can see a couple of the flowers in the photo, they are pretty much plain white.

again, thanks for the welcome :lol:

Back