• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tony's grow log 09/10

Well we will start at the start this year.

I have built a grow box and i cant wait to use it. Im going to get some seed trays tomorrow and will have seeds in by tomorrow night.

I ran the box with lights and fan and got 29 deg air temp in the center of the enclosure.

here is the box closed up

Thebox.jpg

Now as you can see in the above pic...... the room is well lit. As you can see from the exposure of the pic below.... its bright in there. It mad my garage look dark.

inside1.jpg

the lights in the roof

inside2.jpg

And the fan thats pointing at an angle across the enclosure. Its perfect actually. It spreads air evenly but doesnt make a line of wind that i was worried it might. It just moves the air evenly around and will work a treat.

inside4.jpg

Will take pics tomorrow with the seed trays in place.

cheers

oh........... will take some pics of the over wintered plants (sticks) that are going to be re potted and trimmed back as well.

The funny one is the Fetalli smackdown plant. Its till the same size it was 4 months ago but still alive. I will cut it back and re pot it and see if its any different to the devil tongues. Im thinking it wont be after seeing some of the peppers from the smackdown thread.

cheers

The grow box looks great, but unless you plan on setting up 1 tray and putting it very close to the top say 2-3" away from the light your seed stalks will grow long, lengthy and weak instead of short stalky and strong. I made that mistake with a few and ended up having to use tooth picks to keep them from following over and eventually had to burry them deeper to compensate for the long weak stalk.

Looks like you've got a good start Tony. You're going to need some more light like LGHT suggested. Maybe a couple of shelves with lights underneath that are movable.

LGHT why do you use toothpicks to keep them from following over?;)

patrick said:
LGHT why do you use toothpicks to keep them from following over?;)

I read several post that said it would take weeks for seeds to sprout and didn't have my lights ready. So when they sprouted in a few days I only had a few bulbs laying around to use for lights so they grew 3-4" tall in a week. The next few weeks as the leaves got bigger a few of them where soo tall and thin they actually fell over to 1 side. I had to use a toothpic to keep them standing until they got a little thicker and burried deeper when potting up.

that is definitely a cool setup. even if you used books or bricks or something to keep the trays close to the lights and removed a book every so often to keep them nice and close. looks good though.

I would strongly recommend some whit reflective material for the inside to make good use of the light you do have. Even if you get a better light setup, its always a good idea to have as much reflective surfaces as possible. I know some people use and have had no problems with tin foil. I personally don't see tin foil as the best option. What I would suggest is something like this http://www.brewngrow.com/detail.jsp?item=1905&category=20 I have this stuff and love it. But to each their own. Its fine to keep the foam in there as you have it, just cover it with something reflective to make good use of the light.

Give up now Tony as you will never catch me.......Muwhahahahahahaha.....

He neglected to mention that he has a temporary shelf that he's putting in the grow box so the plants will always be no less than a few inches away from the lights......

And as for the reflective material......The room is lined with polystyrene so I'm not sure how he'll go, He only really wants the plants to get big and strong enough to get into pots in the next month or two....

He also Failed to mention that his keg fridge is just out of view in both photo's, and this fridge will ensure constant "monitoring" of the plants condition....:D

Thanks for the ideas folks.

As little bro mentioned and i didnt........ im going to put an adjustable tray under the lights.

As for reflective material...... the white foam is faitly reflective as it is. Im not interested in long term groath in here..... just a half way house for a few weeks while it warms up a bit more.

And yes........ the fridge next to the cupboard will ensure REGULAR inspections :)

Very nice work indeed Tony, you will surely kick your bros ass even though you are behind him a little. :P

btw you owe me a beer for that comment.....

Novacastrian said:
Very nice work indeed Tony, you will surely kick your bros ass even though you are behind him a little. :P

btw you owe your brother a beer cause he's such a great bloke.....

Oh thanks Nova that's nice of you...:D

HEY WAIT THERE I DIDN'T.... oh never mind, damned mods and their damned powers. (except for Bent, AJ, THP and any other mods that are not moyboy)

Hey Nova. Dont worry mate....... i will kick his arse. He will get all distracted and forget the plants and they will become half arsed part dead sticks with some half rotton chillis that even the grubs wont eat.

Then he will take a picture of them and everyone will go.......... Oh wow moyboy there AWSOME! cause he is an evil mod and they dont want him modifying there posts ;)

I went over there a day or 2 ago and when he opened the grow box he goes...... oh i forgot to water them.... they wernt healthy

but he doesnt tell you about that does he :P ;)

hehe

Im off to repot my overwintered plants. Will post some pics up later.

cheers

tony05 said:
Hey Nova. Dont worry mate....... i will kick his arse. He will get all distracted and forget the plants and they will become half arsed part dead sticks with some half rotton chillis that even the grubs wont eat.

Then he will take a picture of them and everyone will go.......... Oh wow moyboy there AWSOME! cause he is an evil mod and they dont want him modifying there posts ;)

I went over there a day or 2 ago and when he opened the grow box he goes...... oh i forgot to water them.... they wernt healthy

but he doesnt tell you about that does he :P ;)

hehe

Im off to repot my overwintered plants. Will post some pics up later.

cheers

Piss off idiot....:P

It's not about you ok!!!!!!!!

Those plants recovered well except for one tomato plant.....But I just figure it wasn't strong enough for my garden so it was good to get rid of it early...... Casualty of war.....

Back