• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Ground Chuck Burgers, The Best

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
I did a lot of burger experimenting this summer on the grill. The BEST burgers were made with chuck (80/20). Those buying ground sirloin, round, or extra lean (97/3) are not experiencing a good burger. The less fat, the dryer it will be. I found that chuck is the magic ticket. I have gone with more fat (labeled 75/25) but it wasn't as good. Don't know why. Too much I guess, and they also shrink up smaller. Chuck is the way to go!

By the way, a lot of stores write the percentage on the label, but some use names. Here's how the names break down:

Ground Beef - 73% Lean, 27% Fat

Ground Chuck - 80% Lean, 20% Fat

Ground Sirloin - 85% Lean, 15% Fat

Ground Round - 90% Lean, 10% Fat

I am still seriously thinking about getting a mincing machine so I can start grinding my own meat......(on second thought, that didn't sound right) I would like to start experimenting with sausages when I get the UDS going.....

I would have thought a good burger meat would have had pork mince in it as well??

moyboy said:
I would have thought a good burger meat would have had pork mince in it as well??

Meter adjustment forthcoming, that wasn't a recipe you eeeddiioott.:lol:

I never said anything about it being a bloody recipe fool.....I was simply asking a question......

What drugs are they letting you smoke at work today....

Adjust meter back please!!!!!!!!

I choose not to comment on that stupidity........:P

We really shouldn't have derailed the boss's thread....

Back on topic please :)

Hey your the bloody mod, just remove the offending posts before we both get the ban stick!

Well, I'm talking about beef burgers. Not sure how pork fits in :P

Seriously though, you can add pork. If you do then you can use the lean beef because the pork is fatty. You went and messed up my nice post with this pork thing!

thehotpepper.com said:
Well, I'm talking about beef burgers. Not sure how pork fits in :P

Seriously though, you can add pork. If you do then you can use the lean beef because the pork is fatty. You went and messed up my nice post with this pork thing!

Sorry...:oops:

Nah. I should have said the best beef burgers are chuck. Other good meats exist.

Don't push it! You were just unbanned as a mod LOL.

No, he's referring to my title.

roflmao @ Moy....

good one THP...I love it....Pippys Boss....

I am having to use 93-7 because of the wifes weight watchers program...she will be gone for over a week (leaves the 12th) and I definitely will use some 80-20 for good tasting burgers...

Back