• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fruit Hot Sauce - Newbie

I have a bunch of orange habs that i need to use up and have wanted to make some fruit and hab sauces for awhile.

I cant find a recipe for what I want as they might be odd or never been done, so I need some help. Im looking to make a Habaneo and Kiwi hot sauce and a Habanero and Banana hot sauce.

Any help with a basic recipe would be great. I have some ingredients that i could use such as (white vinegar, lime juice, carrots and garlic).

I already made habanero ice cream and took it to work and it was hot, everyone loved it, even if they only took a bite.

Thanks in advance.

I've done banana recipies before and I usually throw a half to a whole bananana in a small batch. I just used a splash of red wine vinegar and then white vinegar for the banananana sauce.

they may be a little different but surely not odd ingredients for hot sauces. I've never seen kiwi used as a ingredient (but I bet theres some sauce on the market that does?)
as for banana, if I remember right tabasco hab sauce has banana in it. I've used banana in a couple of my hot sauces, I think half of a banana for about a quart jar worth of hot sauce is plenty unless you really want a banana hot sauce. on my behalf I also mix other fruits into the mixture so I only have so much room for fruit & to keep it HOT.

dont use the basic white distilled vinegar for your fruit hot sauce, its too harsh for a sweet tasting sauce that you want to make, instead use white wine vinegar it has a sweeter taste.

I made a really good Hab Raspberry jelly last year. I only shared this because the flavors really went well together, and I plan on trying to use the raspberries as a base for a sauce in the future.

Kiwi fruits are good. Cut the black seeds out and use the green flesh. Some honey would be a nice complement along with what you already mentioned.

First of all: Welcome to THP!

It's a thing of try and error. Fruit and peppers go together very well. Try to imagine what pepper would arrange nicely with what fruit and do a try. It's always worth wile. But stay with THP rule No. 1: Thou must post pictures!;)

Back