small-appliances Slow Cooker thoughts

My wife is going to buy a fancy Kitchen Aid slow cooker. I have :0️⃣: experience with these things but she says they are great for chili, stews not to mention pork butts and pot roasts.

Any thoughts on these? Favorite recipes? Tips?

Thanks for the recipe. My wife hates split pea soup but I dig it. I may have to make some myself.

They only had red ones at Bed Bath & Beyond so we'll have to wait until they get the chrome ones in. They look much cooler.

B000CSRKD0.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Yeah, nice and expensive at 129 bucks but when it comes to kitchen stuff we like to get the best quality we can afford.

We use our slow cooker probably once to twice a week. It is a must for working couples. That looks like a nice one, although I would never invest $130 bones into a disposable kitchen item. Seriously I always buy mine at walmart and they last for years, we probably have like six different sizes and they are handy for taking to parties. I am kicking around making some chili and plugging it into the inverter in my van at work. We have done that with roast beef at work before and it was a big hit.

Perhaps I'm not that knowledgeable in this area, but these items seem like glorified Crock Pots. If I'm wrong, please tell me. I've used Crock Pots for years with corned beef, stews, etc.

I think you are right. If there is a difference then it is only in that you have more control over the temp in a crock pot. That is just my guess though.

Yeah, crock pot is a brand name of a slow cooker. Same device. I sort of wonder if spending 130 bucks on one of these is a bit of a "crock", but my wife is hell bent on getting this one..

DEFCON Creator said:
They have them for about $30 at Linens N Things by us.

That's where she went and got it. They honored the BB&B 20% off coupon so it was just over 100 bucks. A lot for a "crock pot" but if it makes her happy and she cooks for me with it....it's more than worth it. :)

It's got a pot roast in it right now.:shocked:

i just got a hamilton beach stay or go model at wally world for 30 bucks...works great but the best thing i like is it has handles and a lid that will lock on (in case you need to take something to someones house or you need to be more mobile.)
6 qt model

I love my crock pots. They are great for chili and pork shoulders for pulled pork. Brats, kielbaa & sauerkraut, pot roasts, beef stew...and the best part is that it doesn't require attention while it cooks. I leave mine on overnight and when I'm at work. I have three of them of different sizes.

Since they're left on for very long periods how are they economically?

I also heard that they destroy vitamins in vegetables more than other methods of cooking, does anyone know any more about this?

Other than being able to start cooking several hours early do they have any other advantages, can they do things I can't do with just my hob and oven?

Advantages:
It heats on the sides and bottom (stirring not needed)
Slow cooking over a longer period of time can soften tougher cuts of meat)
Any cooking can potentially destroy vitamins as they are organic molecules that will be decomposed by heat
Variable heat settings
Doesn't require heating a large area like an oven
I don't see any difference in my electric bill when I use it :shocked:

Advantages:
Meat gets really tender
Long cooking times=put it on and have no worries for hours at a time
Small body parts can easly fit in it (no more annoying neighbors asking you what smells so bad on the BBQ....you can just keep that smell inside the house and not arise suspicion)

imaguitargod said:
Advantages:
Meat gets really tender
Long cooking times=put it on and have no worries for hours at a time
Small body parts can easly fit in it (no more annoying neighbors asking you what smells so bad on the BBQ....you can just keep that smell inside the house and not arise suspicion)

Nah, when they ask you why your chili tastes so good, just tell them, "The secret's in the meat."

I am resurrecting this thread (2006!) since I'm in the market for another slow cooker. I have an old cylindrical Crock Pot slow cooker. The box is long gone and I couldn't find the volume on the pot, so I measured water into it to find it holds about 3.5 quarts. I specifically want one that is oval, has a keep-warm type of setting, and is just a bit larger than the one I already have (but not much more so.) I decided to go with a "4 quart" Crock Pot but, upon measuring liquid into it, I discovered it actually holds less volume than my old one. This only holds 3 quarts of liquid. I've read reviews on other brands and understand that most, if not all, other slow cooker makers follow suit and claim a volume that is larger than the actual volume allowed for food. Additionally, I'm reading that the programmable slow-cookers are a total hit-or-miss game - some seem to work but others don't, even of the same model.

So please, let's talk about this a bit. Of relatively-new slow cookers, any particular recommendations? Anyone know of one that actually holds 4 to 5 quarts? Pros/cons of programmable versions?

Back