• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stoooopid Question round 2...

Since i don't have a grill(yet), do you folks think i would be able to dry some peppers in my oven? I got my hands on some chocolate habaneros this weekend, and i want to dry them so i can save them for a while.

Sure...just slice 'em down the side, lay 'em out on a baking sheet and set oven to lowest possible temp...like "keep warm".

kind of off topic -

but will a dehydrater work for this? (seems like a dumb question..)

id like to go to the store and buy about 10 habs and dry them so i can grind them up and put them in a shaker.. will this work? or should i use the stated method of putting them in the oven? i also have a grill i could use too..

chuk hell said:
Sure...just slice 'em down the side, lay 'em out on a baking sheet and set oven to lowest possible temp...like "keep warm".

how long do ya think i'll have to wait for them? a few hours?

I just did this last week. Just like CH said slice 'm in half first, I put mine on a cooling rak then on top of a cookie sheet to get air all around them. My oven would only go to 175F so I left the door open a crack (like when broiling) took about 4hrs or so but I was doing quite a bit. This gets'em dry enough to crumble or rehydrate
My dehydrator broke but you would still need to slice them otherwise they get mushy
Good luck

No salt needed I have been putting them on everything --- oddly I have been thinking of putting them on my vanilla ice cream

I'd feel sorry for that kid , skinny like spaghetti with red flaming hair..... :shocked: I have nearly burnt my taste buds off at least thats what my family and friends think (dont let them see you cry)
But let me tell you tobasco on vanilla ice cream is deeeee - lish

Back