• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finally getting some pods

I started a little late, the end of May, but I am finally seeing quite a bit of production out of my plants.

This is my only Bhut plant that is producing out of 3 plants, but it just started so I'm waiting on the others to catch up.

001-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

012-1.jpg

These are my Red Svina Habs. I wasn't too pleased with the first pod I ate, but I will try again. The leaves are cupped but for some reason, these plants do this everytime it rain a lot. And we are supposed to get 5-10 inches over the next 72 hrs.

017.jpg

022.jpg

019.jpg

Here are a few pics of my Yellow Scotch Bonnets. The first being the one that almost died a month ago. It lost all of its leaves due to a calcium/mag deficiency.

Pic as of 9/10/09
004-4.jpg

Same plant on 8/10/09
009.jpg

Very nice!

How cold does it get during winter? Do you plan on bringing any inside to watch over & baby?

And these are the pics of the crazy fused brach it has developed since this happened.

006-3.jpg

Pics of the top of the fused stem with 24 buds on it. Waiting to see how many of them take.

008-2.jpg

And a few pods on the plant, which has about 80 pods on it total.

003-4.jpg

A pic of one of 4 tabasco plants. These things produce like crazy, so next year I will only grow one or two.

016.jpg

And one of my "Hottie" plants. It is basically an orange hab that has pods that get slightly larger than normal, so nothing special.

018.jpg

SanSoo said:
Very nice!

How cold does it get during winter? Do you plan on bringing any inside to watch over & baby?

Thanks. It typically only gets into the upper 30s for a short time in the winter, but sometimes it gets down to freezing. I will keep a select few plants through the winter. Mainly my Bhuts, Scotch Bonnets, and Red Savina. I have a few others I might overwinter if they produce this year.

Very nice. I wouldn't worry about the late production, you still have lots of time. Last year, AJ had his best months in the Fall.

chillilover said:
The Savinas and Bonnets leaves look pretty wrinkly, could need some calcium?

It started raining here 2 days ago and they started that, which happens everytime it rains. And it is supposed to rain up to 10 inches more by the end of day Saturday. SO for now they will just have to be cuz doing anything supplement wise for them is just going to get washed away.

JayT said:
Very nice. I wouldn't worry about the late production, you still have lots of time. Last year, AJ had his best months in the Fall.

Thanks JayT. And it gets cold earlier where he is at. This is my first year and I will start earlier next year. I will also cut out a few that I am growing and search for something more to my liking, especially with Jalapenos.

rds040800 said:
Thanks JayT. And it gets cold earlier where he is at. This is my first year and I will start earlier next year.

Yeah, I believe your growing season starts around February! I'm jealous. Of course, from looking at AJ's harvests, I would be sick of picking by about July.

JayT said:
Yeah, I believe your growing season starts around February! I'm jealous. Of course, from looking at AJ's harvests, I would be sick of picking by about July.

About the middle of January to the end of February is our coldest time, so I should be good and ready to go in March. Seedlings will get staretd around the middle of December.

Noshownate said:
i like eating those tabasco's whole nice quick heat holds for like 4 min good heat.

My Tabascos kicked my hiney, amazing how much heat can be packed in there! If you like them try the rats turd (prick-kee-noo i think) they are smaller and even hotter;)

I like the tabasco. They are usually just eaten straight off the plant. And they are a PITA to pick. The fun part is giving one to someone who loves Tabasco sauce and seeing their reaction when it lights them up. :mouthonfire:

Yeah it does light them up! Do you wait until the pods almost fall off the stems before picking them?

I found I like them better when they are green. They seem to have a bitter taste when I pick them when they are ripe. Reminds me of tabasco sauce when they are ripe, and I cant stand the stuff.

Back