• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Hot or Cold Smoke

Ok.. this is for the BBQ gurus....
hot smoke or cold smoke BBQ ribs and roast.?
any suggestions? and why one is better of the other....

your smoker should have a burner, and then a chip holder on top of it...

thus the smoke would be hot, ive never heard of using cold smoke.

i smoke ribs for 3-4 hours over a bunch of hickory, and mmmmmmm boy, they are good.

Personnaly I would hot smoke ribs and a roast. Salmon or the like (mmmmm cheese too) I would cold smoke. But I dont have much experience in cold smoking.
I like hot smoking because it doesnt take as long and I am impatient also the microbes on the food are killed off.
Cold smoking you can combine with salt curring for bacon, ham , fish

marcosauces said:
Now...they told me not to Hot Smoke becouse the high level of cancerogenis in doing that....

hell, while youre at it, tell me something that does not cause cancer. :lol:

ross said:
im sure theres something it will do. maybe bladder cancer from making you pee all the time
As far as cancer, nope...nutritinal difficency, yes. That what happens when you drink "dead" water.

What is this "cold smoke" you speak of? I've never heard of that. Fire and smoke go together in my mind. Is dry ice involved?

No Chuck,
you place the meat in a smoker but the fire is in a remote place, the smoke is then brought to the smoker thru a conduit underground where it cools.. thats cold smoke....:lol:

Technically, you can also get cold smoke from a cold fire. Not all fires are hot, from personal experience ethyl ether fires I know aren't terribly hot.

More to the point, smoke can also be cooled in the same manner as the air, so one could add "cold smoke" to food without having heat near it, so you don't overcook food.

marcosauces said:
Ok.. this is for the BBQ gurus....
hot smoke or cold smoke BBQ ribs and roast.?
any suggestions? and why one is better of the other....

Hot smoke is used to "cook" BBQ, (ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc). Cold smoke does not cook, but is used to add smoke flavor to cured meats (bacon, ham, salmon, etc.)

Back