• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking What's your best on the smoker?

I would like to say that my bb ribs are consistently my best on the smoker, but honestly they are better some times than others, I am still perfecting them.

Any kind of fowl is my best.

From Quail to Turkeys, I feel I have mastered the art of brining, injecting, marinating, and rubbing....... on birds.

My ribs range from pretty good to mind blowing, the same for pork butt.

Beef can take a flying leap for all I care.;)

I'll grill a steak, or a rib roast, and quick smoke either, but pulled beef, or beef ribs are not to my taste.

Brisket needs sauce to be good.IMHO

Don't give up on the brisket Cheezy. Poultry I think, as it is more delicate, is more difficult to do right. One trick many do on brisket is to either mop liberally and constantly while smoking or about 2/3 of the way through, wrap the brisket in foil and then finish for the final 1/3 of cooking.
You underestimate your skills.

: tosses Cheezy a bottle of Spaten Octoberfest :

Salute', TB.

texas blues said:
Don't give up on the brisket Cheezy. Poultry I think, as it is more delicate, is more difficult to do right. One trick many do on brisket is to either mop liberally and constantly while smoking or about 2/3 of the way through, wrap the brisket in foil and then finish for the final 1/3 of cooking.
You underestimate your skills.

: tosses Cheezy a bottle of Spaten Octoberfest :

Salute', TB.

I will try again. Wrapping in foil.

Damn! Thanks for the virtual brew!;)
:cheers:

AlabamaJack said:
what about poppers Cheezy...that's my best...

but you are talking meat so I will have to go with pork loin...

Smoked poppers?? That is kicked up 5 or 6 notches.

Maybe I should start a "share your best smoker recipe" thread too.

millworkman said:
The percentages are not adding up properly.

On a multichoice, the percentages can over lap. Ie., 20% means 1 of the 5 people who voted chose that option. That's my best guess.

It means 20% of the voters have voted for this option.....40% for this one....

Come on AJ!!!! Are your super engineer powers fading so fast?;)

Im still experimenting with my new`ish UDS :)
After cooking on it more times than I can count on my hands and toes.

I have to say either pork ribs or full chook for 2nd & 3rd.
But I do like LAMB ! A good leg is probably ` my best `

So far it is pretty varied.

Sorry I missed Lamb!! Dammit.........

So are all of you smoking the unicorns untill they are just done?, a little pink? or do you go all the way and have pulled unicorn?

For me pork is by far the best meat for smoking whether its ribs, bacon, Canadian bacon, pulled pork, or sausage but I also love salmon, chicken, brisket, as well as deer, and goose(forgot to vote for that)

Hands Down brisket -- I love it -- Im just kinda tired of doing ribs and pok butts :shocked: When I first bought my smoker I smoked ribs for what seemed like every weekend.... then I started pork butts -- Brisket is somthing that you have to masterit. You make a lot of shoe leather before you start making dinner

POTAWIE said:
For me pork is by far the best meat for smoking whether its ribs, bacon, Canadian bacon, pulled pork, or sausage but I also love salmon, chicken, brisket, as well as deer, and goose(forgot to vote for that)

Agreed, but fowl always turns out so great too.

Fowl seems to be winning out.

EDIT: DOH! Fowl and Pork are tied at 12 total.

What percent is that AJ??;)

Most foods I can cook well with other methods but for pork I go for smoked 99 percent of the time. You can also smoke almost any part of the pig and have completely different tastes.
Now I'm getting hungry and thinking of getting a pork belly curing for makin' bacon

Back