• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Crazy Salsa

OK I didn't know what else to call it. But it is based off a recipe I found online and added my goods to it. Sure its not the hottest thing but the burn you do get is very slow and nice. Not to mention the flavor is wonderful.

Ingredients for Best Recipe

*6 large seeded chopped peeled tomatoes
*2 cups seeded chopped green peppers
*3/4 cup chopped onion
*1 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used pickling salt since I was canning)
*2 cloves minced garlic
*1 1/2 cups cider or wine vinegar (might try lime juice sometime)
*2 large Jalapenos (chopped)
*2 Cayenne (chopped)
*2 Black Pearls (for heat)
*3 Sticks of chopped celery
* Pepper (to taste)

Directions for Crazy (but nice) Salsa Recipe

1.Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
2.Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
3.Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4 teaspoon head space an adjust the caps
4.Process for 30 minutes in boiling water bath.
5.Yields: 8-9 half pints or make fresh and store in refrigerator.

I was very fortunate to have all ingredients home grown except for the celery, Tomatoes, and 1 Green Bell, oh and the Garlic. Those we did have all the items at one time but have used them up. Anyway i was looking to make a salsa that was both good and didnt burn you face clean off.

I am very weird when it comes to vegetables. I cut up everything in pretty small pieces and its nice to have salsa that way anyway because then you don't have a scoop chip with a huge chunk of tomato and nothing else. The heat is slow and is very friendly but does seem like it might have some staying power to it.

I only sampled a very small portion of it and was VERY impressed especially since my cooking doesn't go much past "OK where are the Microwave instructions?". But today I have a pints worth that I will be sharing for the big Viking vs. Packers game. Well hope you all like.

Now that I got a nice recipe perhaps I can in some way improve on it. man I cant imagine how though...lol

sounds awesome crazy would love to see some pics
step 3 and 4 a little confused. planning on making some salsa myself and like to hear and see all different ways and styles.

I will be sure to take some pics. i am at work right now and have two jars out in the car so during lunch I will use my Blackberry and get some juicy ones in here for you :D

Steps 3 and 4 are assuming your canning. You pour the contents into a jar put the cap and band on it and set in water. Once you have all jars in the water you bring it to a boil and keep the boil for 30 minutes. Does that clear the confusion?

Oh ok yes it does that is just for the canning process?
never done canning before soo no clue on how that goes.
but now i do hell yeah being able to save some for later like how you think thanx for clearity.

Oh ok yes it does that is just for the canning process?

Yes it is, along with the pickling salt, otherwise if your going to eat it right a way you can use table or sea salt.

hell yeah being able to save some for later
It will last a yr. Let me correct that, it is GOOD for a yr. Ill be suprised if it last until next month...lol

celery eh? That's quite interesting!

Yea my dad recommended it but it is quite good. I don't know that you can really tell that there is eve celery in it but Im sure it adds something to it.

If by the "ribs" you mean the branch type deal where the leaves are, then yes. I cut off the tops and part of the bottom (where its white) then I cut 3 slits length wise with the celery to make the pieces small. Then chop chop chop.

That sounds awesome! My only problem, is that it sounds like too much trouble.

I food processered 3 tomatoes,1 clove garlic, 3 puriras, 1 orange hab and some salt this morning.

Delicious! So flavorful!

No cooking, not too many ingredients.

Sorry, while I can still pick fresh tomatoes off of the vine, cooked salsa is OUT of the question.

;)

Well here are the pics....Oh man I cant wait to taste it again...lol

IMG00209-20091005-1252.jpg

IMG00210-20091005-1253.jpg

***ponders*** Really? I find that quite interesting. Today will be the day that everyone will be tasting it but my best friend (one of the people who will taste it) and I wanted to sell salsa and hot sauce. I already came up with a label and he came up with a name. The only thing stopping us from selling it in a small store even is the red tape that needs to be worked out.

Maybe I should see how the tasting goes today and then if it is well I will make more and seel some to my fellow THP buddies at a nice price and see how that goes. Thanks for the compliment. I greatly appreciate it.

Im down for trading. :D Last night during the big game (Vikes won I might add) My salsa went over quite well. My best friend who does a lot of cooking said "Thats really good". My friend and my girlfriends (im dating my friends sister) mom made some salsa and my girlfriend told me in private "Your salsa is better but shhhh." :lol:

My girlfriend took a small nip off a cayenne once and for her it was so hot it made her ears hurt. lol That was the one thing she liked about the salsa was that it had some bite but it was very friendly and didn't cause her any kind of head trauma. She even ate more then one chip and a couple times she would put it down but then pick the jar back up for more.

Anyway I do think it wentover quite well. I even left the second jar over there to eat today during the Twins game. ;)

Well this seems to be quite a hit already. I gave a jar to my youngest brother last night he gave it a 7 out of 10. The only issue he had (which I had to) was it was just a slight bit runny.

I explained to him it was only like that because I spooned to much liquid into the jar but next time I will keep it to a minimum. Otherwise he said it would have been perfect. He said he sat down today and ended up eating the whole jar :lol:

If I end up making another batch this weekend I may add some lime juice to a few of them and see how that tastes.

Back