• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Habanero Jelly?

A few years ago, I heard someone talk about making Habanero jelly. Does anyone in here know what or how to make it? What does it taste like?

Thanks.

:onfire:

I love these graphics.

here is a recipe I have:

Sour Apple Habanero Jelly

• 4 lbs of tart apples (e.g. Granny Smith), unpeeled, chopped into big pieces, including the cores
• 6 Habanero chili peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, the seeds and ribs removed from 3 of them (for mildly hot jelly. If you want a hotter jelly leave the seeds and ribs in all of them.)
• 1 bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
• 1 cup cranberries (can be frozen)
• 3 cups water
• 3 cups white vinegar
• 3 1/2 cups sugar (7/8 cup for each cup of juice)

Combine the apple pieces, apple cores (needed for their pectin content), jalapenos, bell pepper, cranberries, water and vinegar in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low, simmering for about 20 minutes, or until the apples, cranberries, and peppers are soft. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan where it might burn. Use a potato masher to mash up the apple pieces to the consistency of slightly runny apple sauce. If the mash is too thick, add more water.

Spoon the mash into a fine mesh sieve, muslin cloth, or a couple layers of cheesecloth, suspended over a large bowl. Leave to strain for several hours (even overnight). If you want a clear jelly, do not squeeze or force through the mesh. Just let it drip. If you want a fuller flavor jelly and don't mind that the result won't be clear, you can force some of the pulp through the mesh. If your pulp is too thick, and nothing is coming out, you can add an extra 1/2 cup or cup of water to it. You want to end up with about 4 cups of juice.

Measure the juice, then pour into a large, wide, thick-bottomed pot. Add the sugar (7/8 a cup for each cup of juice). Heat gently, stirring to make sure the sugar gets dissolved and doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.

Bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, using a spoon to skim off the surface scum. Continue to boil until a candy thermometer shows that the temperature has reached 220-222°F (8-10°F above the boiling point at your altitude). Additional time needed for cooking can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or longer, depending on the amount of water, sugar, and pectin in the mix.
Candy thermometers aren't always the most reliable indicators of whether or not a jelly is done. Another way to test is put a half teaspoonful of the jelly on a chilled (in the freezer) plate. Allow the jelly to cool a few seconds, then push it with your fingertip. If it wrinkles up, it's ready.

Pour jelly into sterilized jars* to within 1/4" from the top and seal.

Makes approx. 4 half-pint jars.

Serve with cream cheese on crackers.

I don't remember where this recipe came from....I know I found it online and it makes a good jelly!!

Two habanero jelly recipes, one is bigger but uses same amount of pectin, saves money.

Here are the two different recipes. The first one is the one I used.
Habanero Gold Jelly Recipe #132932
Love the hot and sweet of this jelly. Like most hot pepper jellies, it is wonderful spread over a block of cream cheese. I also sometimes melt it down and use as a final baste on grilled back bacon, pork chops or chicken. Prep time does not include sitting time for apricots and vinegar.
by Jan in Lanark
45 min : 30 min prep
3 250 ml jars
· 1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricot
· 3/4 cup white vinegar or cider vinegar
· 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
· 1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
· 1/4 cup finely diced habanero pepper, with seeds or finely diced jalapeno, and scotch bonnet peppers combined
· 3 cups white sugar
· 1 (3 ounce) envelope bernardin liquid pectin
1. Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices and measure into large stainless steel saucepan with the vinegar; let stand for four hours.
2. Cut onions and peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into a 1/4 inch dice.
3. Add to apricots and stir in sugar.
4. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil.
5. Stirring constantly, boil hard for one minute.
6. Remove from heat and immediately stir in liquid pectin, mixing well.
7. Stir for about 3 minutes to mix solids, but put into jars before it gets too firm.
8. Pour into hot sterilized jars, dividing solids equally and fill to within 1/4 inch from top of jar.
9. Apply snap lids and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes if you choose.
10. Once sealed you can rotate or invert jars while still warm to distribute solids if needed.

Big Batch Habanero Gold (Carol calls it Hot N Sweet Confetti Jelly)
1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice)
Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
1/4 cup Habanero peppers
Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin (I used Ball, which I've decided I like better than Certo.)
Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.
Stir occasionally if convenient.
Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.
Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute. Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.
When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.
Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

I was stunned to run across those recipes. I have been buying habanero jelly. Its part of my BBQ competition program. I am going to try it as soon as I get a crop of Habs. Thanks Yall

Two habanero jelly recipes, one is bigger but uses same amount of pectin, saves money.

Here are the two different recipes. The first one is the one I used.
Habanero Gold Jelly Recipe #132932
Love the hot and sweet of this jelly. Like most hot pepper jellies, it is wonderful spread over a block of cream cheese. I also sometimes melt it down and use as a final baste on grilled back bacon, pork chops or chicken. Prep time does not include sitting time for apricots and vinegar.
by Jan in Lanark
45 min : 30 min prep
3 250 ml jars
· 1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricot
· 3/4 cup white vinegar or cider vinegar
· 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
· 1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
· 1/4 cup finely diced habanero pepper, with seeds or finely diced jalapeno, and scotch bonnet peppers combined
· 3 cups white sugar
· 1 (3 ounce) envelope bernardin liquid pectin
1. Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices and measure into large stainless steel saucepan with the vinegar; let stand for four hours.
2. Cut onions and peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into a 1/4 inch dice.
3. Add to apricots and stir in sugar.
4. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil.
5. Stirring constantly, boil hard for one minute.
6. Remove from heat and immediately stir in liquid pectin, mixing well.
7. Stir for about 3 minutes to mix solids, but put into jars before it gets too firm.
8. Pour into hot sterilized jars, dividing solids equally and fill to within 1/4 inch from top of jar.
9. Apply snap lids and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes if you choose.
10. Once sealed you can rotate or invert jars while still warm to distribute solids if needed.

Big Batch Habanero Gold (Carol calls it Hot N Sweet Confetti Jelly)
1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice)
Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
1/4 cup Habanero peppers
Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin (I used Ball, which I've decided I like better than Certo.)
Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.
Stir occasionally if convenient.
Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.
Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute. Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.
When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.
Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

Do these jellies need to have the solids in them or can you make it withoutthe solids. Like strain them out. Sounds like a tasty recipe.

How long do these jellies keep? How to store them?

omg, habanero jelly...nom nom nom! I have a batch that seems to have been mixed with peaches/apricot. It's sweet with a good amount of kick. My favourite is on buttered toast.

I think what you call Jelly is what we in the UK call Jam?

My Recipe is so much easier, I have been making it for years and it lasts well in the cupboard, you don't have to put it in the fridge.

1 Kilo Jam sugar (Sugar with added Pectin)
1/2 Kilo Chilli Habs or Scotch bonnets work well but you can use anything.

Chop some of the chilli for texture, put the rest into a liquidiser and whiz it into juice, you may have to add a bit of water.

Put the whole lot into a saucepan with just enough water to dissolve the sugar.
Bring up to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. That should be enough to set it, but even if it does not set it still tastes great.

IMG00116.jpg

Here's one I made earlier

I see you've gotten many recipes, but as for taste.. if ya do it right.. it tastes delicious! MmMmm Mmm!

xo nicole

I think what you call Jelly is what we in the UK call Jam?
Jelly, jam, and preserves are all different. Jelly is made from fruit juice, jam; pureed/crushed whole fruit, and preserves; large chunks of fruit.

Jelly, jam, and preserves are all different. Jelly is made from fruit juice, jam; pureed/crushed whole fruit, and preserves; large chunks of fruit.

So its not that different from here then!
I was familiar with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches which turned out to be jam...
Jelly here is fruit juice and gelatine to solidify it.

So this thread really is referring to jam.

Well Lawrence, as said above there are differences. However I do think people use the words interchangably even though it is incorrect. Also, "peanut butter and jelly" is almost like a phrase that you cant change.. like if you were to use jam instead of jelly it would be weird to call it a "peanut butter and jam" sammie. I guess just growing up it was always pb&j!

http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/habanero-jelley

Best place I have found online was Recipezaar.com but they changed to Food.com. I posted a link to a list of Jelly/Jam recipes that I have been reading over. Take your pick and leave a review for the next searcher.

On a side note, this is a chicken recipe that is easy to make and has a fantastic taste.
http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-supreme-78320

Here is an old, but good thread discussing such things. I actually made a batch of jelly and it turned into an instant success with all that tried it.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/8423-hab-jelly/page__p__171059__hl__%2Bhab-raspberry+%2Bjelly+%2B__fromsearch__1#entry171059

My pepper jelly's main ingredients:

- One pack of Pectin.
- 8 Ring of Fire Cayennes
- 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
- 1 1/4 Cups of Vinegar
- 4 Cups of Sugar
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper (Jersey Field Pepper).

Pack it with a Cinnamon stick to distinguish it from the Habanero Jellies (Much more pungent, different taste).

Makes for the best jelly I've ever had.

Back