• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

multi ?'s

question #1

if you're starting a new sauce/never written down before, do you folks make very small batches to get the flavor you're looking for ? (like 1 woozie size or less)
example only use 1 or a couple pods & then small ammounts of other ingredients & if its good you just multiply the ammounts.
I ask this cuz I've usually made decent size batches & just went with the flow of things for looks & taste.

question #2

for those hobby hot sauce makers, do you still charge people for the sauce to recoup some costs for ingredients.
& to be on the safe side do you also put some allergy warning on the bottle, like - consume at your own risk - cuz theres no guarentee the cookware never came incontact with certain ingredients that someone might be allergic to.

I bring this up cuz I've heard of people having allergic reactions from just having some ingredient (that they're allergic to) touching cookware thats used for their food.
I dont know if thats true or a extreme case ?

I don't charge for hot sauce but I do make sure they know exactly what they are getting when they ask for some. For salmon...different story. First samples are free, after that, especially when they want 5 pounds of the stuff....show me the money!

For recipe's for hot sauce in general, I usually just start tossing into the pot, and always in small batches. Just makes sense as I am not pasteurizing. I usually put some from each batch in a couple of 2 oz woozies for those that want to try something.

That's what I do as well First sample is free then (like TB said) show me the money.

When I start to make a new sauce I start with what ever pepper I'm gonna use then I figure out what is going to compliment the flavor and begin adding other things and spices KEEP NOTES AS YOU DO IT in case it turns out really good, you can easily duplicate it. When I am coming up with a new sauce I always do it small batch and constantly taste it till I get the flavor I want.

I think if you are just doing it as a hobby and not planning on making money right now you don't really have to worry about liabilities, but if you do start making money you should have disclaimers on your product. If its people you don't really know you probably should say its a hobby and not responsibility for allergic reactions, just in case. Err on the side of caution.

Back