• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

color food coloring

has anyone used food coloring in their hot sauces, does it add any kind of unwanted flavor ?
I'm gonna assume its safe to use at any ammounts, or wrong ?
& would it be enough to change some hot sauce to a funky neon color :lol::cool:

if you know of a place that sells neon food coloring, please tell or i'll keep looking.

Artificial colors have been link to cancer for many years. Alot of people I know of will shy away from a sauce that has them in there.

That and I'm allergic to them. I say go natural or gtfo. :lol:

imaguitargod said:
Artificial colors have been link to cancer for many years. Alot of people I know of will shy away from a sauce that has them in there.

That and I'm allergic to them. I say go natural or gtfo.

so far everything I read its only in the state of california that its been proven to cause cancer, I'm not in cali so I'm all good ;):lol:....inside joke if you read the warnings from most products.....damn near everything causes cancer;)

whats "GTFO" ? get the F out ?

but dont you think itd look kinda cool/funky having some neon colored hot sauce ? just imagine a neon blue or another color vs the basic yellow/orange/red color.....its just a thought I just had & just asking some questions about it.

chilehunter said:
but dont you think itd look kinda cool/funky having some neon colored hot sauce ? just imagine a neon blue or another color vs the basic yellow/orange/red color.....its just a thought I just had & just asking some questions about it.

Food coloring makes products look fake and unapatizing. There are many products out there like that (El Yucateco makes a neon green one for example).

if i was to buy a sauce or other product, i'd choose the one without artificial colouring any day, you just don't know what that sh*t does to your guts, besides, colouring makes the product look yucky & unappealing.my tuppence/two cents.

Look as this pure Naga paste THSC made...it about glows in the dark.

nagapaste.jpg

No need for colorings when nature is doing it just fine (and frightening).

ok that is kinda cool, its natual, but.... only 1 or 2 strange colors & then this "Some colors will impart some flavor on the finished product, and may render unsatisfactory results"

I still think for a gimmick hot sauce & still tasty/hot handing someone a neon blue sauce would be funny!

MrArboc said:
I wouldn't eat anything neon colored, but it could be a great gimmick for the collectors - you know the kind that put the bottles in cabinets and never open them;)
Cabinets? Never eat? :crazy:

As a professional baker with over 10 years experience I can tell you that different colors should not impart any "flavors". If they do, it should only be sweet flavors since the food coloring is mainly corn syrup.

If you really want to add food coloring, you can buy powdered or dry colors. those are expensive but do not have the "sweetness" in them.

As a fan of hot food or sauce, I would not want added food color in mine, I want it to remain with the natural colors of the peppers or fruits or vegetables added in them. Plus in some cases of adding color, you really need to add a lot and then the color will not look natural. Rick b

chilehunter said:
so far everything I read its only in the state of california that its been proven to cause cancer, I'm not in cali so I'm all good ;):lol:....inside joke if you read the warnings from most products.....damn near everything causes cancer;)

whats "GTFO" ? get the F out ?

If your sauce does make to Cali make sure to slap a Proposition 65 warning label on it! That's "the everything you get near or look at gives you cancer" label. That must be posted on the front door of most businesses here.

Back