• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is anyone growing a banana plant?

Recently, I received a banana plant called Musa Basjoo, and here are pictures of it...

DSCI0746.jpg

DSCI0733.jpg

Musa Basjoo is notorious for the red vein in the center of the leaves...

DSCI0655.jpg

DSCI0598.jpg

Sad to report, this plant was stolen from me, when I put it outside. The good news though, I have now replaced it and I am working on growing another one just like the one in the pictures again.

Is anyone else growing a banana plant? I have several other varieties also, but they are still very small.

Musa Basjoo is the hardiest of all banana plants, and the roots can even survive Canadian Winters, sending up new fresh pups in Spring. It's pretty amazing.

Any other banana hounds out there?...

: )

Oh!!! Thought this was where I put it originally. Sorry about that.

So what kind of banana plants are you growing Chilliman? I am growing a Phoenix date palm, but have seeds for ensete ventricosum and others too. Also have High color mini, dwarf cavendish, and siam ruby. Getting California gold next Spring!

This is how Siam Ruby will look. A very kind friend in New Jersey mailed me a pup.

This pic is NOT mine, but just to show another variety I have...

SiamRubyplant-1.jpg

Isn't is just stunning?!!!

: O

Holy sh*t - look at those bananas!

: O

I am impressed! That thing is so tall. WOW - thanks for sharing with us. I can only imagine how it will look after a bit of care!

That is one amazing specimen, Chilliman. Do you know which variety it is?...

Have you tasted the fruits previously, Chilliman? I wondered if they were as delicious as I imagine.

I mainly grow ornamental banana plants, because our climate unfortunately, will not allow me to enjoy fruits in the short length of time we stay warm.

However, there are types that will produce fruit in a shorter time period. For instance, California Gold, which a friend is mailing me in the Spring, will fruit within one year!!! I will grow it inside over the cold months - then put it outside the next Spring to begin fruit production! How exciting.

This, is a mystery banana plant, that a friend mailed me from Texas!!! It's beginning to take right off for me, and I intend on sustaining it indoors over the winter, and then putting it outside in Spring.

I am a member of the International Banana Society, and when it gets a bit bigger with more leaves, I will post shots of it and someone will know exactly what it is.

I am enjoying watching it grow...

DSCI1322.jpg

I have several types of banana growing but I'll have to look up the varieties again. The Musa basjoo is hardy but I don't think they'd really survive in our climate, they don't produce edible bananas, and its very difficult to get bananas or seeds since the male and females flower at different times.
Ok, here's a thread of mine with some banana pics, see post#80 and #96
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=10984&page=5

Back