• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Pippy's 2nd UDS smoke!!!!!!

Well the food is in the UDS as I type this and has been for about 3 hours.....

I'm pretty disappointed as I can't control the temps as well as I'd hoped and the UDs is sitting perfectly at 150C (300F) which is far higher than what I want....I'm pretty sure the lid and maybe the base of the UDS isn't sealing properly so that is something I will try and address before the next smoke and i'm really not sure how this smoke will turn out, hopfully the food is ok but I'm in un known waters???

I have a 3.5kg rolled pork shoulder, 2kg corned beef, and a 2kg fatties rubbed with herbs and spices then coated in red wine and garlic sauce then rolled up......

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

The chicken didn't fit so I might try and cook it later once the fattie is done??

The fattie was done in about 4 hours....It wasn't as smokey as I was hoping but it was still bloody nice....

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

The temp is cooling down now and is at around 110C (220ish F) and it's dropping very slowly. I have just put the chicken in and I'm going to put some more hickory wood and coals in the basket in an hour or so....

Pepperfreak said:
Now all you need it a nice cold one to go with that.

Oh...wait, I forgot....I'm sure you have already been drinking :drunk:

:rofl:

Corned beef, pork and chicken are still in the UDS and I just added some more coals cause the chicken still has a while to go....Going to take the corned meat out in half hour or so. That will have given it around 8 hours......Pork still needs a while yet I would think.

Oh yeah....The first beer was cracked an hour ago...:D

If you smoked it it's pastrami now.

Can i add a not win mark boss? Not that i really care as i like pastrami better than corned beef anyway!

Patrami on rye with mustard......... and pickled habs.

Now comes the rolled pork shoulder after about 10 hours in the UDS.....

OMG it is so nice and is just falling apart...:)

It looks a little dark on the outside, that's because the temps were a little higher than I hoped for...

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

The chicken is still in the UDS and will be coming out in and hour or so.....

Looks good! You can usually get rid of some of the blackness by saucing it up real good near the end. It softens it up and soaks it in.

thehotpepper.com said:
Looks good! You can usually get rid of some of the blackness by saucing it up real good near the end. It softens it up and soaks it in.

Good to know for next time.....Thanks.

The pork is just falling apart...I can't get enough of it.....:drooling:

Damn Pippy!!! That looks great...looks nice and juicy and tender, well the inside. :lol: But, you are making me hungry.

Survey says= WIN!

Glad you're enjoying the UDS. I don't have one, but I can smoke well on my horizontal smoker. We'll have a battle soon.

:beer:

Or is that the beer talking?

He had his girlie over. He'll invite you over next time... when he's lonely :rofl:

thehotpepper.com said:
He had his girlie over. He'll invite you over next time... when he's lonely :rofl:

She's gone home so all thoughs goat pics you keeps sending me are starting to look pretty good :rofl:

Back