• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

LV's aquaponics

I've just purchased this to set up my aquaponics system

!BbOdO8w!mk~$(KGrHqYOKigEq5GhkE6-BKu94qeTL!~~_12.JPG

The tank will we cut into two with roughly the top 1/4 becoming the growing bed.

It will be secured to the frame with strapping and set into the top of the cage.

The remaining tank will be the water storage unit, it will be populated with local perch.

No sure on how to connect it all up yet, a mate of mine has done it and will be guiding me through it all.

All going well I'll soon be growing some veggies and maybe a chilli plant or two. The perch will be eaten when they get to a decent size as well.

I'll pick up the tank next week, so it'll be a couple of weeks before it's all set up.

I've been interested in that for quite a while. If I had the space I would do the same thing. Except I would use our native Rainbow Trout.

This has actually been saved in my YouTube favorites:

scarpetti said:
I've been interested in that for quite a while. If I had the space I would do the same thing. Except I would use our native Rainbow Trout.

This has actually been saved in my YouTube favorites:

I was just watching this video actually, someone subscribed to me and that video was linked. I expect my set-up will be very similar.

I know here in MN (last I heard anyway) being in possession of lake fish is illegal. Not that I care but thought I would throw that out there just in case you did :lol:

Sounds like an interesting project.
I've been researching aquaponics for about 16 years now and took an introductory aquaculture course in college, and all I can say is there's really a lot to learn about raising healthy disease/parasite/virus/bacteria free fish(and plants)

crazy8 said:
I know here in MN (last I heard anyway) being in possession of lake fish is illegal. Not that I care but thought I would throw that out there just in case you did :lol:

You can buy silver perch from breeders here in Qld so it's all good for me.

Yeah thats a little different since your in a different part of the world then I am. Guess I should have looked at where you were from. But yeah it seems that when you live in "the state of 10,000 lakes" or even the country whos one of many past times is fishing, DNR seem to not like it much when you take fish out of their homes and into yours. :lol:
I had a friend who had a bar in his basement and he wanted to convert it to an all glass bar (one huge fish tank) and fill it with lake fish...lol

Nice Lv , I have also got one of those, but white, for my an outdoor setup. There are plenty around they seem to work well !

Well I've got my tank home, so I need to start cutting the frame and tank up. I'll be going for a flood & drain configuration with most likely gravel for the grow bed.

A mate who has a set-up put me onto an Aussie forum on aquaponics, lots of good info to read. I'll post some photos when I get it cut.

Well I've trimmed and cleaned the IBC up and begun fitting some fittings.

Some progress shots, more to come.

Tank ready to cut
normal_ibc01.jpg

Tank ready to cut
normal_ibc02.jpg

Tank and cage first cut to both
normal_ibc03.jpg

Tank and cage first cut to both
normal_ibc04.jpg

Some more progress shots

The cap will have a 38mm hole cut into the centre, then it will be enlarged for the 40mm pvc water pipe
normal_ibc07.jpg

strapping has been added for extra strength
normal_ibc08.jpg

strapping has been added for extra strength
normal_ibc09.jpg

The 40mm pvc pipe has gone in and I've added a male and female joiner for the outlet. The female may get removed to allow the water to fall the minute amount further.
normal_ibc10.jpg

Another shot of the lid with the 40mm pipe.
normal_ibc11.jpg

The small sleeve allows for adjustments to be made.
normal_ibc12.jpg

Some 32mmpvc pipe sleeved into the 40mm pipe in the lid.
normal_ibc13.jpg

The outlet fitted to the grow bed
normal_ibc14.jpg

Made some good progress over the past couple days, nearly finished it all now. Only gravel to add then get the system balanced, then some plants and fish.

normal_ibc18.jpg

normal_ibc19.jpg

normal_ibc23.jpg

normal_ibc24.jpg

Back