• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Wasabi!

I have always enjoyed wasabi... there are some interesting recipes there, but one sentence in that page has me thinking about wasabi..

( Industry has also discovered that wasabi makes excellent non-fouling marine paint and even a wood preservative that replaces poisonous arsenates. But until wasabi’s price drops dramatically, don’t hold your breath for these or similar innovations. )

Guitar.. I know it's a little soon to ask, but have you thought about trying it like the Naga Morich. :P

More Pic's for the Archives..

Denio said:
Guitar.. I know it's a little soon to ask, but have you thought about trying it like the Naga Morich. :lol:

More Pic's for the Archives..
:P GENIUS! I'll have to locate a whole tuber of wasabi...might be difficult. But I'm now officially keeping my eyes open for this (do the same for me people!)....we should have a "Let's See What Passow Will Eat Next" Fund, lol :lol:

One of my favorite kinds of food.... I really like it when it is kicked up a notch....

I always keep an eye, myself for a great out of the way place...

There's a place in Dallas on Wycliff Ave. (I forget the name...next to Sal's Pizza) that has the best wasabi I've ever had. The owner/sushi chef makes his own and he likes it HOT. His wasabi was the only one that would tear up my eyes.

However, one must realize, 99.9% of the "wasabi" out there is glorified horseradish. Actual wasabi has pungentcy but is not "hot".

honestly, i've never liked wasabi or even horseradish. i love spicy foods but the flavor is just not for me. maybe its an acquired taste or something...but its just not for me. i got tricked into buying these japanese rice crackers that i really like..only i can't find my particular favorite brand here...the ones i bought all had wasabi in them :) i ended up giving them to my roommate.

DEFCON Creator said:
However, one must realize, 99.9% of the "wasabi" out there is glorified horseradish. Actual wasabi has pungentcy but is not "hot".
And there it is! That's what the article says and that's why I posted it. Until I read the article and did some more research, I didn't know that.

Good read :)

I've not even tried fake wasabi and have been trying to find some so I can try it, now I have 2 things to find and taste :)

Edit - Actually, having looked it up, it looks like we get the real stuff here in england.

Wasabia japonica

I've never tried real wasabi but I plan to start growing some next year. "Myths that wasabi would not grow outside of Japan have been firmly rebuked in recent years by American growers who are not only growing it successfully, they are growing better wasabi than the often adulterated product sold in the stores."

You can buy the plants at Richters. Their website has some good info and growing instructions but the plants are $13.00US and only available april-may. They also take 18-24 to mature and are generally not grown from seed. Wish me luck.
http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X6720&cart_id=9466579.2448

Wasabi update. Plants were expensive and arrived very small. I've had them a while now and they are doing ok now, hope they get bigger. They look like little lilly pads. Anyone know how to propagate this plant other than from seed? Clone maybe??

POTAWIE said:
Wasabi update. Plants were expensive and arrived very small. I've had them a while now and they are doing ok now, hope they get bigger. They look like little lilly pads. Anyone know how to propagate this plant other than from seed? Clone maybe??
From what I understand (which may be wrong) is that they don't clone very well at all.

Look at that...awww...you'll have some edible wasabi in three years....if I'm still around by then, tell me how they are ;)

Dammit - I've been looking for wasabi seed for years...cold mountain streams Hah...I'm going to grow some in the tropics ;)
seriously though, anyone have seeds?

This article aswers a lot of questions
http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=InfoSheets/d6720.html
"Most wasabi originates as small plantlets or divisions growing around the central rhizome of the mature wasabi plants. A large plant may have upwards of 10 plantlets which can be derived from the mother plant at time of harvest. It is claimed that after several generations of divisions that stock must be renewed either from seed or through micropropagation to eliminate diseases which have accumulated in the plant stock. So far this has not been our experience. Seeds are extremely small and must undergo a period of cold storage before they become viable. We have not yet attempted culture from seeds."

Back