• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Everythang' Tex-Mex!

Hey ya'll once again from the big dry ditch here in Las Vegas. A short while ago I spent 2 days whippin' out a batch of tamales and thought I would add them as part of a throwdown but then I had an epiphany. THP doesn't have a proper Tex-Mex thread for fajita's, enchilada's, refried beans, chips and salsa and such what nots. I reckon it's right appropos to begin now ya'll. I'll start it off with ....

TB's Notorious Tamales.

I began with a 6 pound pork shoulder. Now I could have smoked the 'thang low and slow but growing up in Texas, all my Mexican brothers moms would either roast the pork or just slapped it in the oven. I went one better. Crock pot! I got the old pepper pot out, dusted it off and set it on 300f. I unwrapped the shoulder and readily saw it wasn't going to fit. Damn! Nothin' a little whack and hack can't cure. Cut that wombat in half and stuck it in the pot. I hit that with Spanish and Hungarian paprikas, garlic, some no name chile powder I had stashed away, Mexican oregano, cumin, pequins and chix stock.

Once the pot got chuggin' along after a couple hours, the whole house was filled with the aroma of slow roasting porkage. mrs. blues was going crazy..."is it done yet? How 'bout now? Well?"

Needless to say the porkage came out just like pulled pork but without the "que". This stuff was pure gold. mrs. blues attacked it outright! Rich pork flavor with double the squeel!

I pulled the pork apart and stowed it in the fridge for the next days fixin's, along with the pork broth leftover from the pot.

The next day, I prepped the corn husks by soaking them in room temp water for an hour. You gotta' put 'em in a bowl or pot covered with the water and weight them down so they don't float and stay dry.

I then seasoned the pork with some onion, more chile powder, cumin and pequin powder, along with returning some of the stock to the meat mix.

Mixed the masa dough with some pequin powder and granulated garlic and some of the pork stock. Rolled it out on a husk one at a time, added the porkage mix, rolled them up and tied them off. One by one they went into a big soup pot I have for such things. After all the tamales were in the pot, I added the stock and some water to fill the pot about halfway up on the tamales. Put the lid on and then set the temp to low on the stove top. I let 'em go for about an hour and a half.

Now I don't know if ya'll make your own tamales but lemme' 'splain ya'll.....the aroma's, the flavors, are nothing short of incredible....

I did up about 45 tamales and vacuum packed them for the freezer. Between taking them to work and eating them at home, mrs. blues has wiped out two thirds of them and I'll have to make more next week.

Well hell! Enough wastin' time talkin' about 'em...let's get to the piccy's ya'll!!

All seasoned up...

IMG_1603.jpg

mrs. blues got me this 'thang...awesomenessess!!

IMG_1605-1.jpg

Crazy stuff goin' on here...

IMG_1606.jpg

All pulled..

IMG_1607.jpg

More to come shortly in the next post ya'll!!

Day 2....

Soaking the husks. Use a big bowl and weigh 'em down...

IMG_1610.jpg

Mixing the dough...

IMG_1611.jpg

mrs. blues even gave me a hand tying the wombats up....

IMG_1614.jpg

Can you smell the hotnessess?

IMG_1616.jpg

One more post coming...

Aw....I could just cry.....

IMG_1619.jpg

All ready for teh freezer!

IMG_1620.jpg

Well there it is ya'll. TB's Notorious Tamales.

Give this a listen.....
and post your Tex-Mex here ya'll!

Plated pic later tonight ya'll....

Solid Gold TB! I used to pick up a bunch of these at a place just down the street from me when I lived in Phoenix (Tempe) for a spell. Not much better than a great prepared Tamale with cheese melted all over it.

Wow! 2 marriage proposals already! And to think that mrs. blues only married me because she thought I was good lookin', loaded with cash, and close to death!

: hollers at mrs. blues :

Honey.....you got some competition and some 'splainin' to do!!

texas blues said:
Hey ya'll once again from the big dry ditch here in Las Vegas. A short while ago I spent 2 days whippin' out a batch of tamales and thought I would add them as part of a throwdown but then I had an epiphany. THP doesn't have a proper Tex-Mex thread for fajita's, enchilada's, refried beans, chips and salsa and such what nots. I reckon it's right appropos to begin now ya'll. I'll start it off with ....

TB's Notorious Tamales.

I began with a 6 pound pork shoulder. Now I could have smoked the 'thang low and slow but growing up in Texas, all my Mexican brothers moms would either roast the pork or just slapped it in the oven. I went one better. Crock pot! I got the old pepper pot out, dusted it off and set it on 300f. I unwrapped the shoulder and readily saw it wasn't going to fit. Damn! Nothin' a little whack and hack can't cure. Cut that wombat in half and stuck it in the pot. I hit that with Spanish and Hungarian paprikas, garlic, some no name chile powder I had stashed away, Mexican oregano, cumin, pequins and chix stock.

Once the pot got chuggin' along after a couple hours, the whole house was filled with the aroma of slow roasting porkage. mrs. blues was going crazy..."is it done yet? How 'bout now? Well?"

Needless to say the porkage came out just like pulled pork but without the "que". This stuff was pure gold. mrs. blues attacked it outright! Rich pork flavor with double the squeel!

I pulled the pork apart and stowed it in the fridge for the next days fixin's, along with the pork broth leftover from the pot.

The next day, I prepped the corn husks by soaking them in room temp water for an hour. You gotta' put 'em in a bowl or pot covered with the water and weight them down so they don't float and stay dry.

I then seasoned the pork with some onion, more chile powder, cumin and pequin powder, along with returning some of the stock to the meat mix.

Mixed the masa dough with some pequin powder and granulated garlic and some of the pork stock. Rolled it out on a husk one at a time, added the porkage mix, rolled them up and tied them off. One by one they went into a big soup pot I have for such things. After all the tamales were in the pot, I added the stock and some water to fill the pot about halfway up on the tamales. Put the lid on and then set the temp to low on the stove top. I let 'em go for about an hour and a half.

Now I don't know if ya'll make your own tamales but lemme' 'splain ya'll.....the aroma's, the flavors, are nothing short of incredible....

I did up about 45 tamales and vacuum packed them for the freezer. Between taking them to work and eating them at home, mrs. blues has wiped out two thirds of them and I'll have to make more next week.

Well hell! Enough wastin' time talkin' about 'em...let's get to the piccy's ya'll!!

All seasoned up...

IMG_1603.jpg

mrs. blues got me this 'thang...awesomenessess!!

IMG_1605-1.jpg

Crazy stuff goin' on here...

IMG_1606.jpg

All pulled..

IMG_1607.jpg

More to come shortly in the next post ya'll!!

Thats a very unique looking smoker ya have there...
Dry ditch
FAIL
Another Vegas FAKE!
Sellit to the tourons...

scoville said:
Thats a very unique looking smoker ya have there...
Dry ditch
FAIL
Another Vegas FAKE!
Sellit to the tourons...

I'm sorry your life is not going as planned. I will pray for you.

Awesome! I love tamales when they are fresh. All kinds.

Looks great "texas blues" you seem to go all out of on these food posts! First with the candy like smoked salmon and now with this.

Again with the vacuum sealer as well gotta pick one up soon! :think:

Thanks for sharing.

Wow.

how many of those can you fit in a flat-rate shipping box?

well done. I hope the tex-mex thread takes off. The bar has been set VERY high.

I must have been outta' my head when I did this up last night. After I took this money shot, even my foo foo alarm went off.

Pulled a pack out of the freezer. Nuked 'em. Cheesed 'em. Enchilada sauced 'em. Foo foo'd 'em. Ate
'em.

Awesomenessess with the spiceenescxt!!

IMG_1675.jpg

Bring 'dat Tex-Mex here ya'll!

LordViykor said:
Looks great TB, where would one get corn husks from? Besides buying corn cobs that is.

Seems there is a Mexican herbs and spices section with these cornhusks at every store I go to here in Vegas. The Tampico brand is very wide spread. Tampico now even has dried pequins that are kickin' little bullets of flavor.

frydad4 said:
Wow.

how many of those can you fit in a flat-rate shipping box?

well done. I hope the tex-mex thread takes off. The bar has been set VERY high.

Dude...I've seen your work. You could put your spin on this and jack up the awesomenessess in a coma. Your foo foo is in a whole 'nuther category of WIN!

Well, I do have to say that I was very impressed with this first attempt at tamales! it was torture waiting for the crockpot because it "stunk" up the whole damn house! ...thanks honey... yes, I couldn't stop shoveling it in before he could get it out of the pot! when it came time for the assembly I was the official string-girl! that is about the extent of my culinary prowess! they are a bit of heaven on a plate!

now... let's get down to business... unfortunately he's already married and as we don't live in Utah, I'm not looking for competition... HOWEVER, I might consider pimping him out! LET THE BIDDING BEGIN!

mrs.blues said:
now... let's get down to business... unfortunately he's already married and as we don't live in Utah, I'm not looking for competition... HOWEVER, I might consider pimping him out! LET THE BIDDING BEGIN!

How about one of those 50 ml of whiskey and 1 bell pepper!

Back