Supporter Accounts

How do you feel about Supporter accounts being available at www.thehotpepper.com?

Some forums i have seen have the option to buy supporter accounts for a monthly or year fee in these accounts you are given extras for your pledged support to the site such as:

"Supporter" Status Flag - Optional special "S" flag by your name, similar to "M" and "A" flags for mods and admins.

Personalized Email Address - such as hophead@thehotpepper.com.

Larger Avatars - Supporters can have avatars with larger dimensions

Increased Signature Length

Custom Username Colors - Select a custom color or gradient for your displayed username.

Unrestricted Image Uploads - Supporters can upload as many images as they want, as long as each image is under 1MB.

No Banner Ads - All advertising can be disabled for supporters.

Access to the exclusive supporter only forums.

These are only some examples of extras members could receive if the supporter account idea goes forward - in most forums i have seen with these options the money goes to server costs.

I do jewelry work. Mostly Southwestern styled stuff. I'm member of a jewelry group , Orchid. The people there and their interest is super varied. All types of info including "how to videos" are exchanged . They ask for , but don't demand a donation. So you give what you can or what you feel the info is worth. So a few bucks a month from members helps keep things flowing. I think the 5 bucks I spend is more than worth it.

So I think something to help this site keep running , without just a few paying the lions share , is a great idea !! They use Pay Pal to get your funds. It's as easy as uncle Bob. So I'm up for a once a month or year donation. I don't know what would be fair as most people here aren't into peppers as business but a hobby or love. If you figure how to do things on this and make people feel like they want to give , I think it's it's a good idea .

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I am personally not a fan of the idea.......We don't need to make a second "class" of forum users.

All the information is given freely and this site is in no way going to be closing any time soon due to lack of support. It annoys the hell out of me when i go to a forum and you have to pay to get full benifit from it. JMO!!!

Hey the boss is loaded anyway, why give him more moolah! :rofl:

It did strike me as a goodish kind of idea at first however i tend to agree with moyboy (i'll deny agreeing with him though). People that use this forum come from diverse socioeconomic standings and it would create a second class of forum user, that in my opinion is bad with a capital B.

i'm with the 'no' group i'd say if you wanna put money into the site buy a t-shirt or sweat top i've got mine in a nice royal blue.
Enticing my with a bigger avatar and fancy colours in my id isn't gonna clinch my cash.
But maybe a donation button and if peeps wanna give then they can
But in secret and not like all the folks out there that do a lot for charity be never talk about it (never stop talking about it, in a look at my i'm great kind of way)

GO BUY THE SHIRTS!

yea people don't seem to guestion you as much when you ask for dishes and things with extra extra chilli on/in them when you wear it!

I agree with those saying no. If one wants to support the site, there are shirts for sale. Some cannot participate in things like this due to economic reasons, but that doesn't mean they support the site anyless than someone that has made a donation or bought THP merchandise.

I don't think paying would work on this forum since there is a high turn-around of members, and lots of newbies and lurkers checking things out. Just look at how many people are online, and how many are actually members.

if we end up having "classes" here I don't want to be second class -

I am thinking more along the lines of 4th or maybe 5th class

you know - like at the family reunion the cousins that never bothered to show up and all the adults talked bad about and all the younguns wanted to be like?

Back