• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cuisines Curious about sushi...

but I've never really given it a chance.
I'm allergic to shellfish, so that line of edible critters is out, but if anyone really gets this stuff, what should be my first order?

Sometimes, getting used to the texture and getting used to eating raw things can be a bit strange. I would start with cooked rolls. That will break you into it pretty easily. Rolls with eel and avocado are particularly delicious. After you are used to the nori (seaweed wrap) and other textural elements, go for something raw. This will be a pretty cool journey for you!

I only first had sushi about 6 years ago. I tried a California roll first (still one of my favorites) and progressed to shashimi which I love now. I am pretty sure I could eat anything as long as I soaked it in Wasabi/Soy and put some pickled ginger on it! I like Spicy Tuna probably the most.

Tuna and salmon are "safe" choices to start with. Stick to Maki (rolls) first, progress to sushi (fish on top of rice), and graduate to sashimi (just fish). Don't put any soy or wasabi on it to taste it, you can add some later if you prefer, but you want to try it plain first. PM me if you have any questions, I'm a sushi FANATIC :)

ok, so go with salmon and tuna first, which is kinda what I had in mind. I've had sort of raw tuna already, ordered it at one of the local fish joints around here, was basically a 3 inch block of tuna cooked blue rare. Wasn't real crazy about it but I think it was the fact that it was such a huge chunk of fish.
Easing my way into it with smaller portions and some rice seems a good idea.

I'm also eager for the salmon. I freakin love salmon.

I'll try a piece or two of the roll stuff, maki.

Thanks all.

Also, for you sushi lovers, what inspired me to try it for real:

Start off with a California Roll and or Vegetable roll these will get you ready to try others - I would next move to a tuna or salmon roll - after that try nigiri sushi rather then rolls these have a large piece of fish on a small piece of rice and are my favorite but can get expensive.

Others to try after the California Roll/Vegetable roll's are Crunchy Roll, Spicy Tuna.

I don't agree with starting with non-sushi. Just dive in and eat it, you'll love it. No need to eat veggies first. Order a sushi deluxe and try a bunch of different stuff.

Girlfriend hates sushi but loves the crunchy roll - you might want to start with that if you don't wanna go into the raw stuff right away.

Like HTP posts - perhaps a mixed order is best to see what you like and what you don't like.

thehotpepper.com said:
I don't agree with starting with non-sushi. Just dive in and eat it, you'll love it. No need to eat veggies first. Order a sushi deluxe and try a bunch of different stuff.

Omakase, eh?

That's a strong possibility.

I wouldn't start with veggies first, but I would build up the fish to rice ratio slowly, if you don't like it, you'd hate to be out $30-40-50...

I make my own.

My girlfriend is really into avocados, so I use that, carrot, raw shrimp, salmon, and tuna, cucumber, and sometimes even a tiny sliver of cream cheese in my rolls.

I will post photos the next time we make it! ;)

ok, just got back.

had a 5 pc sushi plate.
1 piece of fatty tuna. F'ing YUM.
1 piece of white (albacore) tuna. Good.
2 pieces of salmon. F'ing YUM.
1 pc red snapper OMG YUM.

Texture took the most getting used to, the taste was phenomenal.

Then...

California Roll.

Blech.

So. Gimme da raw fish on rice. Nice little plate of soy sauce, keep your wasabi and ginger.
I kinda like it.

Yup, it's good stuff. The ginger is just to cleanse your palette between different types of fish.

Fatty tuna (toro) is one of my absolute favorites. I don't mind California rolls at all, but unless they're spicy, they tend to be rather bland.

For next time: try some eel (unagi) it's cooked, normally in a sauce which is based with soy and sugar. Also engawa (which I believe is fluke) is really good.

By the way -- you're in Pittsburgh, where did you go?

Definitley get into the spicy rolls and large rolls, like Dragon Roll, and Christmas Roll.... oh and Philly Roll.

Back