• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Mash and the changes it makes

I made mash with a bunch of serranos, and orange habaneros a couple months ago. This past week I broke open the mash and started making sauce from a previous fresh recipe. I noticed some changes that I thought I would share with everyone and see if anyone else has had similar experiences.
First the mash is much more liquid than if fresh out of the processor. That changes the amount I put in to achieve the same thickness of the sauce.

The sauce also came out a little sweeter in my opinion. Lastly and most importantly the habaneros seemed to not be as hot.

I understand that the mash is more liquid but the heat part has confused me.

Anyone experience similar?

I don't think the mash should be any less hot although the heat may be more evenly distributed. It should also taste more sour/acidic if the mash was fermented properly.

POTAWIE said:
I don't think the mash should be any less hot although the heat may be more evenly distributed. It should also taste more sour/acidic if the mash was fermented properly.

The heat I think was just luck of the draw. I have noticed however that the color of the sauce changes. For instance a yellow scotch bonnet and red sweet pepper when fresh made an pinkish orange colored sauce. With mash it is more of a yellowish brown.

All my Ph tests come out fine and the sauce tastes good. Is the color change to a brownish color normal for fermented orange or yellow peppers?

Back