• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment My Salsa

Friends,

I have been making my own salsa for the last five years.It is a simple recipe with grilled Jalpenos, onion, garlic, cilantro and Roma Tomatoes with my spices treatment. Slightly sweetish but taste wise out of this world.

NJA's SALSA

4154321406_0b19762a5c.jpg

I have never named it as I don't think I will be offering for sale. But who knows?

NJA

JayT said:
Looks good. Your special spice treatment. :lol: Is that a nice innocent way of saying adding your nagas to it? :evil:

No No No . I love salsa flavor and I won't do anything to mar the taste of salsa by adding Naga to it.

It is the spices I play with.

NJA

Bite yer tongue! :lol: Marring the taste of salsa with naga? I think naga salsa is good! To each his own I guess. Your salsa still looks good. FYI, I don't usually put naga in my salsa either. No one else can eat it.

JayT said:
Bite yer tongue! :lol: Marring the taste of salsa with naga? I think naga salsa is good! To each his own I guess. Your salsa still looks good. FYI, I don't usually put naga in my salsa either. No one else can eat it.

JayT,

I love my salsa+Naga Chutney pickle+ cHEEZEin my toast every day without a break (if I can help it).
I don't add Naga in my salsa because I have my salsa with other Indian dishes too (where I don't need heat)

NJA

POTAWIE said:
If you don't use nagas, scorpions, or 7 pot/pods in every dish then you'll get a hard time around this macho forum:)

you are telling me? :shocked:

I have my preferences of using different chilli peppers in different dishes .

Where ever I need heat, I add my NJ Chutney pickle/Hot sauce in any dish which I love to have more heat.:mouthonfire:

You see I am choosy when it comes to using pepprs in any form for different dishes/pickle etc.

My Thai chutney pickle is unique because the spices I use for it suit the Thai beautifully where I do not like Naga because they givre Thai's taste with its unique flavor.

As far as "MACHO" thing is concerned, my usual daily food for the last 40 years is much more hotter than most and is enough to make all of us (my family) macho.

NJA

I hope u get the drift.

I fully understand that each pepper has its own flavor and usage, I wouldn't generally add nagas to my salsa either. Heat is easy to do but flavor can take time and creativity. The point I was making is that this place is on endorphine overload and most people expect/demand nothing less than a 7 pot/pod or Scorpion in every dish, with pics of course:)
Your salsa looks great, you gotta have lots of cilantro in salsa!

POTAWIE said:
Your salsa looks great, you gotta have lots of cilantro in salsa!

Cilantro .....yes. It does have a spoonful of cilantro but green color that you see, mostly belongs to eight Hottest Jalapenos.

What a flavor they add after grilling...WOW

NJA

I love using nagas, bhuts or the like in my salsa. Just can't get it hot enough using jalapeno or even habs. I generally use jalapeno for a mild salsa for the kiddies, habs for a medium salsa for most everyone else I know and use the bhuts for me. I use about 3 or 4 per 6 pint batch and it adds just the right amount of heat where it doesn't overpower the flavor and adds a bit of a smoky flavor to the salsa which I like.

As for cilantro, I can't imagine not using it in my salsa, but it loses it's flavor rather quickly and is undetectable in the jars I can for later use.

jacob

jjs7741 said:
I love using nagas, bhuts or the like in my salsa. Just can't get it hot enough using jalapeno or even habs. I generally use jalapeno for a mild salsa for the kiddies, habs for a medium salsa for most everyone else I know and use the bhuts for me. I use about 3 or 4 per 6 pint batch and it adds just the right amount of heat where it doesn't overpower the flavor and adds a bit of a smoky flavor to the salsa which I like.

As for cilantro, I can't imagine not using it in my salsa, but it loses it's flavor rather quickly and is undetectable in the jars I can for later use.

jacob

Jacob,

As explained earlier, I have the same recipe for my salsa.
Except myself,none in my family fancy anything so hot as Naga. It is another reason I have a common salsa. I add my Naga Chutney to salsa in my sammich daily morning.
Oh yes, I too love cilantro. More the merrier.
In fact I wanted to use culantro but we don't get culantro in Michigan.

NJA

Mate, I don't want to be a wet blanket but this is a RECIPE thread.
Are you going to post the recipe?

The conditions of this thread are: Post spicy recipes if you have exact measurements, otherwise, post above.

Hey guys,

Take it easy.
The recipe is rather simple. It is a traditional salsa.

350 gm Roma Tomato
100 gm Tomato puree
10 Hot Jalepenos
2 to 3 Habaneros
1/2 Medium sized Red Onion
2 to 3 cloves Garlic
1/2 cup cilantro
Lime Juice (1 oz)
Salt
Sugar 1 tbsp
Garam Masala powder 1/2 tsp
Hot Chilli powder 1 tsp

Blanch tomatoes, Grill Habs and Jalepsnos and cut in small pieces. Cut cilantro in small shreds. I use bought out tomato puree. Deseed tomatoes and cut into small pieces.

Mix everything . Add Garam Masala powder (little)
Taste and bottle.

Salsa Ready.

NJA

Ahhhh all the wolves are off my back now. Or were they Hyenas? Hehehehe:P

Sounds good! I see you know Roma makes the best salsa. Lots of flesh, little water. Why didn't you grill the maters too? Fire roasted maters make great salsa.

thehotpepper.com said:
Sounds good! I see you know Roma makes the best salsa. Lots of flesh, little water. Why didn't you grill the maters too? Fire roasted maters make great salsa.

Thanks for suggesting that. Next time I will try that too.
Was a little concerned that after grill taste in maters. What the heck, lemme try that once.

NJA

Back