• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Holy Smoke December Throwdown

Best Smoke? Who has the best unique BBQ using traditional BBQ method?

• chilliman - Jamaican Jerk Chicken

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • THP - Middle Eastern Not Southern Smoked Pork Loin W/ Pomegranate Paprika Pulp BBQ Sauce On Zaatar

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Deathtosnails - Greek Stuffed Leg Of Lamb

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • POTAWIE - POTAWIE's Cured And Smoked Picnic Ham With Jalapeno-Maple Glaze

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • JayT - JayT's BBQ Wet-n-Wild Boar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JayT - Jay T's BBQ 6-Point Buck Roast

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
This is the Holy Smoke December Throwdown!

The rules are:

1. You choose the meat. One meat cut per entry, no combos. You may submit a second entry with another meat or preparation.

2. Must be barbecued in the traditional manner which is indirect heat (or smoked vertically, UDS, etc.) for the majority of cooking. Can be finished on the grill or other. No gas grills. Charcoal and wood.

3. Must have a hot pepper ingredient.

4. One post or series of posts with a teaser, and same for finale. Finale must be named. You may also post the smoking process since it takes so long, but be courteous with pics.

Looking for unique entries here while cooking the traditional way! Get creative!

This will end Sunday night at 11 pm ET. Smoking can take awhile, this allows plenty of time.

Still have questions? Please ask HERE.

The Middle Eastern Not Southern BBQ is in effect!

Attachments

• middleeasternnotsouthernq.jpg
    middleeasternnotsouthernq.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 90
Here's some more for you......

Attachments

• middleeasternsmoke.jpg
    middleeasternsmoke.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 79
  • middleeasternloins.jpg
    middleeasternloins.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 89
Progress:

Attachments

• middleeasternloins2.jpg
    middleeasternloins2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 75
Thanks!

Here's some pics of the pomegranate paprika BBQ sauce in the making. This is not a tomato-based sauce, it is pure hot paprika pulp imported from Turkey based. Consistency is like tomato puree but the taste is phenomenal. More on the ingredients in the finale post. I think my next post will be the plating.

Attachments

• pomegranate_sauce.jpg
    pomegranate_sauce.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 79
  • paprika_pulp.jpg
    paprika_pulp.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 81
thehotpepper.com said:
Thanks!

Here's some pics of the pomegranate paprika BBQ sauce in the making. This is not a tomato-based sauce, it is pure hot paprika pulp imported from Turkey based. Consistency is like tomato puree but the taste is phenomenal. More on the ingredients in the finale post. I think my next post will be the plating.

You need a scratch-and-sniff button on your posts...although, I can envision this in my mind.

This is going to be epic, THP!!!

Sauce simmered on grill:

Next up... FINALE!

Attachments

• pomegranate_sauce2.jpg
    pomegranate_sauce2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 83
JAMACIAN JERK CHICKEN​
/STUFFED WITH TOMATOE on UDS.

I have no teasers, except first 2 shot pre cook , and between 4 of us it was gone in 5mins !

Ingredients:
1 full Chook
1 Tomato
homemade Jamaican jerk seasoning.

PASTE:
6 Red Scotch bonnets deseeded, diced and mashed
1 Bhut deseeded, diced and mashed
1 teaspoon ground DRY thyme
1 sprig of fresh thyme diced and mashed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground all-spice
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons of hot Hungarian PAPRIKA
1 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 cilantro onion diced and mashed.

Stuffed tomato into chook, applied paste - marinated for around 6 hours in fridge.

Onto UDS -
002-18.jpg

003-14.jpg

Cooked for around 3 hrs on a temp of around 90 - 110C / SMOKED with APPLE WOOD !. to get this -

006-15.jpg

Too drunk and hungry to get a photo of it being dismantled, as I feared the time away from my share ;).

Middle Eastern Not Southern Smoked Pork Loin W/ Pomegranate Paprika Pulp BBQ Sauce On Zaatar Pita

All spices and sauce base components from the Middle Eastern grocery.

MARINADE
Pork loins marinated 24 hours in Middle Eastern Meat Spice (allspice and 7 other aromatic spices), cayenne powder, and 100% apple juice not from concentrate.

SMOKE
Stubb's Natural Charcoal W/ Apple Wood Chips.

WET RUB
Same as marinade but thicker.

MOP
Same as marinade with a hit of Olive Oil near end.

POMEGRANATE PAPRIKA PULP BBQ SAUCEâ„¢
Large Can Hot Paprika Pulp (Turkey)
Pomegranate Juice Concentrate (Lebanon)
Hot Red Pepper Puree (Syria)
Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Med. Onion, Diced
Black Pepper
3 Cloves Garlic
Sea Salt

Smoked for 3 1/2 hours, sliced, prepared over Zaatar Pita (Zaatar, Sesame Seeds, Thyme, Olive Oil, Spices) bought already made, served with Pomegranate Paprika Pulp BBQ Sauce.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• middleeasternloins3.jpg
    middleeasternloins3.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 236
  • middleeasternbbqplate.jpg
    middleeasternbbqplate.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 224
we had no plates ???? we picked the carcass from the smoker ??? (and not in rules)
It should have been a banana leaf - which is what came to mind now. :doh:
Would of worked for a BBQ too ...

Just imagine it on a banana leaf all pretty ;)

JayT said:
THP, please describe taste!
Sweet, a bit tart, smoky, fiery, aromatic.... amazing! Well I'm going to sound biased but it's the most unique BBQ I've ever had, no tomatoy taste like with traditional, with the paprika-based sauce. Basically I used that instead of tomato puree, and the pomegranate concentrate instead of molasses... keeping it Middle Eastern while finding similar things to replace the US BBQ flavors. The marinade/rub just filled the loins with all kinds of aromatic flavors. Add the flavor of the apple smoke, and just look at that smoke ring ;). Perfect on the Zataar pita. Some of the best BBQ I've made yet. Doing it again. And yes this was all my recipe. :)

Looking forward to yours!

I put a TM symbol next to it :P
Tough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back