event Calling all manufacturers and hot sauce aficionados!

CALLING ALL MANUFACTURERS AND HOT SAUCE AFICIONADOS!!!

I’ve been in recent contact with Chip Hearn at Peppers. I told him I’ve been receiving a number of emails from bloggers and other hot sauce enthusiasts regarding having a Hot Sauce Extravaganza at their store Peppers, in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. He was definitely up for doing it and has already gotten permission to put up tents and all sorts of crazy stuff to make it quite a memorable experience. The Peppers store itself is something to behold. If you’ve never been there, this would be a perfect opportunity for a very cool road trip.

I’m looking to see how many people would be interested in something like this. I think it would be a ton of fun, and a great chance for people to meet up with a number of manufacturers, hang out for an afternoon, and just plain have a good time. There would be plenty of sampling going on, and heck, I might even bring down my turkey fryers and throw a Deathmatch together.

This would also be a great opportunity for newer companies to get their name out, as I think the turnout would be pretty good. As many of you know, who have been to hot sauce shows big and small, it’s all about having fun, meeting people, and just having an all-around good time.

We are tentatively looking at some time in May, when the weather is usually pretty good. If you are at all interested in something like this, please email me at john@defconsauces.com. Chip will also be inviting some local vendors from his area as well.​

Isn't it close to the beach? Summer is better.

Summer would be cool, but it gets insane down there. We've driven down in July for demos or to drop off orders, nothing like 3 hours of 2-lane beach traffic to go about 10 miles.

Best part is, there is a bar next door.

I'd definitely be interested, my work schedule generally precludes me from planning anything too far in advance, but I'd love to come, hang out, and taste test :)

Well, we had a pretty good set of replies last night. I'm going to be setting up an email list for those interested, to keep them in the loop regarding specifics of what is going on. We have plenty of time until May to plan this, so if anyone has ideas, they are gladly welcomed. I'm going to talk to Chip about making this a possible 2-day event (Saturday-Sunday), mainly for those that are coming a longer distance. I think it would be pretty cool to have a dinner/party Saturday night somewhere nearby Peppers as well. I've found that most, if not all, in this industry, whether they are manufacturers, retailers, or customers, really know how to have fun (beer is usually involved as well, GASP!).

This event has a really big chance of becoming something special, and I'd like to get as many of you out there involved as possible. So shoot me an email and get on the list!

mvinson said:
I would probably make it - what's the nearest airport with commercial flights to there?

Just heard from Brian Meagher of http://www.hotsaucedaily.com, who lives around a half-hour from Peppers. He said Philly was the best option. He said it was a 2.5 hour drive and a very easy straight shot down I-95 & DE 1. Baltimore and DC are a bit too far and convoluted of a drive from their airports.

Thanks Scott - I would be flying in and I would say probably getting a rental car if it's that much of a cab ride

I may be interested in attending, not a bad drive at all.

I'll be watching this thread as the event develops.

I'm there! We have a place to stay nearly year round there so no matter when this one takes place I'll be there. Sounds like a great time.

Intensity Academy said:
keep us in the loop HSM we may be able to come up

Awesome guys! I haven't sent out an email to the manufacturers I know yet. I was planning on doing it over the weekend when things finally calm down. We've actually had a pretty good response thus far.

Ok, time for an update. I spoke with Chip at Peppers this morning, the date for this event is going to be May 15-16 (Saturday & Sunday). Now that the date has been confirmed, it's time to rock n roll. Chip is getting a block of rooms at a nearby hotel for discounted rates for those in attendance, and Saturday night will be a HUGE party at a nearby establishment. This is gonna be a lot of fun!

So, that being said, if you haven't already, shoot me an email so I can put you on the list for updates. We already have roughly 6 manufacturers already, and a TON of bloggers from all over the eastern part of the country signed up. I will be blasting out an email to the masses, hopefully this week, outlining the event.

Back